This lesson is on that every parent would LOVE their kids to master, to obey without whining! Right? Just as we want our children to obey us quickly and with a good attitude, the Lord wants his children, you and me, to trust Him, obey him, and have a heart turned to Him. We hope this week's lesson will bless your family as you strive to teach about obedience.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Come, Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a towel or small blanket for each child!
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Give a towel to each person who is present, and give everyone a space on the floor where they can lay the towel flat. Explain that you are going to give them a challenge, but the real contest is to see who can be the most whiny while they complete the challenge! Encourage everyone to be whiny with their voices, whiny with their faces, and whiny with their arms and body language!
Tell them that the challenge is to fold the towel. Remind everyone to be as whiny as possible and to complain, moan, murmur, etc. while they are folding the towels).
Once you have completed the activity, collect the towels and discuss the following questions.
1) Was it easy to fold the towel when you were being whiny? (Hopefully they obeyed quickly!)
2) How did the towels turn out? Were they folded neatly? (Discuss.)
3) How did it feel to be whiny? If we chose to whine all the time, do you think things would be easier or more difficult? (Discuss.)
4) Do you think Jesus Christ ever whines or complains when Heavenly Father asks Him to do something? (No.)
5) What does Jesus do instead? (He obeys Heavenly Father.)
6) What do you think is the opposite of whining? (Obedience with a good attitude.)
Explain: Today we are going to learn about obedience. When we choose to obey Heavenly Father, we must try with all our hearts, and we must be willing to do what Heavenly Father asks us to do.
🎥 V I D E O : " The Whiny Whale | A Story about Obedience"
Now we are going to watch a video about a whiny whale! Let’s watch and see what whale was whining about!
[Watch Video: “The Whiny Whale | A Story about Obedience”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was the whiny whale whining about? (He didn’t want to swim to the big rock.)
2) What did the other whales do? (They tried with all their hearts, and they were willing to do what the coach asked them to do.)
3) Why did the whiny whale choose to follow the coach? (Because he wanted to swim faster.)
4) If the whiny whale only whines, will he be able to swim faster? (No.)
5) How is the coach like Jesus Christ? (Jesus Christ wants to teach us how to be like Him, and help us return to Heavenly Father.)
6) If we want to be like Jesus Christ, what do we have to do? (We have to try with all our hearts, and we must be willing to do what Jesus Christ asks us to do.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read D&C 64:34]
34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.
1) Why does the Lord require our heart? (Discuss.)
2) What do you think it means to give the Lord our heart? (Discuss.)
3) Why does the Lord require a willing mind? (Discuss.)
4) What do you think it means to have a willing mind? (Discuss.)
[Read Abraham 3:25]
25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Heavenly Father.)
2) What does it mean to “prove” someone? (To test them.)
3) What is Heavenly Father testing us on? (To see if we are willing to do all that God commands us.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the “Whiny Whale” coloring page. Invite the children to think of something that Heavenly Father has asked them to do and to think about how they can try with all their heart and be willing to do it.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.