Reverence for Sacred Things
In D&C 63:64 the Lord says..."Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit." In the gospel there is much that is scared and teaching our children to reverence things that are sacred takes time, effort, and training. We hope that this week's lesson will fortify the lessons you have already been teaching in your home.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Love to See the Temple"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a small pillow, and a small cup of water filled almost to the top, and a set of scriptures. You will also need two images: An image of a temple, and an image of Jesus Christ.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
First, toss the pillow around to everyone in the circle. Make sure everyone gets a turn to throw and catch the pillow.
Next, hold up the cup of water (filled almost to the top) and ask discuss following questions:
1) Should we throw this cup of water around the room, like the pillow? (No!)
2) Why not? (It will make a mess, we’ll get wet, we’ll lose the water that’s inside the cup.)
3) Should we handle the cup of water differently? (Yes.)
4) How should we handle the cup of water? (Pass it around slowly and carefully.)
Explain: Today’s lesson is about sacred things. When something is special to Heavenly Father, that thing is sacred. (Carefully pass around the scriptures, and the images of Jesus Christ and of the temple.) When we understand that something is sacred, we will talk about those things differently, and we will handle those things with reverence and love.
1) Can you think of some other things that are special to Heavenly Father? (God’s creations, the Sabbath day, our bodies, the sacrament, baptism, etc.)
🎥 V I D E O : " The Gardener | Reverence for Sacred Things"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about a gardener who likes to grow flowers in his garden. The flowers are special to the gardener. There is also a puppy who doesn’t understand that the flowers are special. Let’s watch and see what happens when the puppy goes into the garden.”
[Watch Video: “The Gardener | Reverence for Sacred Things”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What happened the first time the puppy went into the garden? (The puppy smashed the flowers.)
2) Why was the gardener sad? (Because the flowers were special to him.)
3) Why did the gardener make a fence? (To keep the puppy out and to protect the flowers.)
4) Why was the puppy able to go inside the garden later? (Because he understood that the flowers were special to the gardener and he learned how to treat them.)
5) What are some of the things that are sacred to Heavenly Father? (The earth, Jesus Christ, the temple, our bodies, and the scriptures.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
64 Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit…
1) What things are sacred? (Things that come from Heavenly Father.)
2) Can you think of some things that come from Heavenly Father? (Discuss.)
25 And it shall be given thee, also, to make a selection of sacred hymns, as it shall be given thee, which is pleasing unto me, to be had in my church.
1) What is something that is sacred that this verse tells us about? (The hymns are sacred.)
2) What can we do to show reverence and love for the sacred hymns? (Sing reverently, handle the books carefully, be thankful for the hymns, etc.)
11 And it came to pass that the army of Coriantumr did pitch their tents by the hill Ramah; and it was that same hill where my father Mormon did hide up the records unto the Lord, which were sacred.
1) What is something that is sacred that this verse tells us about? (The records that were being kept/the word of God.)
2) What can we do to show reverence and love for the word of God? (Read the scriptures often, handle the books of scripture carefully, try to obey the word of God, etc.)
3) What are some other things you can think of that are sacred? (Discuss.)
4) What can we do to show reverence and love for those sacred things? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the image from the video. Use this time to talk about how to show reverence and love for sacred things.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.