Line Upon Line
Returning to our heavenly home takes lots of little steps, line upon line. There are some big milestones on our mortal journey, but the truth of the matter is that most of our journey is a thousand little steps. Those little steps matter, they matter a lot. It truly is the little daily habits that make up our lifetime and eternal progress. This week's lesson invites your family to study the truths of this doctrine.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Am a Child of God"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an image of Jesus Christ.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Ask the children to line up on one side of the room. Tape the image of Jesus Christ on the wall on the opposite side of the room. Now, invite the children to try to get to Jesus Christ (on the other side of the room) with only one big step! Let them have fun for a few minutes while they attempt this!
Next, invite them to try again but this time instruct them to use lots of regular sized steps (as many as they need) to get across the room.
Invite children to sit down again. Then discuss the following questions:
1) Which way worked the best? One big step, or lots of small steps? (Small steps.)
2) Why didn’t one big step work very well? (It was too hard, the step was too big.)
Explain: Returning to Heavenly Father and trying to be like Him all at once would be too hard for us! That’s why He has given us lots of small steps that we can take, that help us grow and become more like Him a little at a time!
🎥 V I D E O : "Lucy and the Ladder | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a little girl named Lucy who was stuck! Lucy wanted to get up to a nice place on top of some big rocks, but it was too far for her to reach! Let’s watch and see what happens!”
[Watch Video: “Lucy and the Ladder | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What problem did Lucy have? (She couldn't get up on top of the rocks.)
2) What was the solution? (To use the ladder!)
3) What did the ladder do? (It turned one big step into lots of smaller steps that Lucy could do!)
When we are trying to return to Heavenly Father, what are some smaller steps He has given us to make it easier for us to return to Him? (Baptism, Gift of the Holy Ghost, partaking of the sacrament, and temple ordinances.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read Genesis 28:15]
And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
1) Do you know who dreamed the dream in this verse? (Jacob, who was the son of Isaac.)
2) What did Jacob see in the dream? (He saw a ladder to Heaven, and the angels were going up and down the ladder.)
3) What do you think this ladder is a symbol of? (It could represent the steps that we can take to return to Heavenly Father.)
[Read the first part of 2 Nephi 28:30]
For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel…
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is speaking.)
2) What did the Lord say about how He teaches us? (He gives knowledge to us line upon line, a little at a time.)
3) What do we need to do? (Try to obey whenever He teaches us something, even if it is small.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about the ordinances that can help prepare us to return to Heavenly Father.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids,
please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!