Humility: Oct. 4th-10th
In D&C 112:10 the Lord says, "Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." Humility allows us to be ready to be lead, ready to have His will overtake ours. This week's lesson invites your family to study the Christlike attribute of humility.
Download in English: Español: Português:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "He Sent His Son"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need two seeds of any type. You will also need two pieces of paper. Write the word “humble” at the top of one paper, and write the word “not humble” at the top of the other paper.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Place the papers side by side on a table or on the floor. Place one seed on the “humble” paper, and place the other seed on the “not humble” paper.
Ask the children if the seeds can grow all by themselves, or if there are some other things that the seeds need. Each time the children think of something that the seed needs (soil, sunlight, water, someone to pull weeds, etc.), draw it on the “humble” paper! Explain that the other seed isn’t humble, and it doesn’t think it needs any help to grow. It just says no thanks!
1) Can we learn and grow by ourselves? Or do we need some help from Heavenly Father? (We need help from Heavenly Father, just like the seeds!)
2) What are some things that we need in order to learn and grow? (Discuss.)
3) What do you think we will do if we are like the humble seed? (We will receive blessings and commandments from Heavenly Father, and we will be thankful!)
4) What do you think we will do if we are like the “not humble” seed? (We might reject blessings from Heavenly Father, and we might not be thankful.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Strengthen One Another | Animated Scripture Lessons for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about a humble bumble bee! Watch and see when the bumble bee decides to be humble!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) When did the bumble bee decide to be humble? (When it couldn’t kick the soccer ball.)
2) What would have happened if the bumble bee was humble at the beginning? (It would have learned how to kick the ball sooner.)
3) Do you think we will learn more from Heavenly Father if we are humble? Or if we are not humble? (We will learn more from Heavenly Father if we are humble.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.
1) What did the Lord promise if we are humble? (The Lord promised to lead us by the hand, and give us answers to our prayers.)
2) Can the Lord lead us if we are not humble? (No.)
3) Why can’t He lead us if we are not humble? (Discuss.)
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
1) What can the Lord do if we will humble ourselves? (He will lift us up!)
2) Do you think it is hard to be humble sometimes? Why? (Discuss.)
And now, my brethren, I would that ye should humble yourselves before God, and bring forth fruit meet for repentance, that ye may also enter into that rest.
1) What is this scripture telling us to do? (To be humble and to repent.)
2) Why do we need to be humble to repent? (If we are humble, then we will be willing to listen to God and receive His commandments.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out activity pages.
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about what it means to humble ourselves.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, become a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!