Baptism for the Dead
What a comfort to know that all that have gone on before, never having had a chance to receive the gospel and accept baptism have a chance to do so in the next life. This week's video explains this doctrine of missionary work in the spirit world and vicarious baptism.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Baptism"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need some oven mitts, and some string.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Put on the oven mitts, and attempt to tie a knot in the string (this should be impossible). Now ask if there is anyone who can “be your helping hands” and help you tie a knot in the string! Allow each child to make a knot in the string for you.
Once the activity is complete, discuss the following questions:
1) Was I able to tie a knot in the string by myself? (No.)
2) Why not? (The gloves prevented you from using your hands.)
3) Is there a knot in the string now? (Yes.)
4) How did that happen? (Other people were able to act as your hands and tie the knot for you!)
Explain: God has said that everyone must be baptized for the remission of sins. But, some people have died without having a chance to be baptized! Those people don’t have a body any more (they only have a spirit), and they can’t be baptized right now even if they want to! Just like I couldn’t tie a knot in this string!
But, God has provided a way for those spirits to still be baptized! Since we have a body, we can volunteer to be baptized for them! Just like you used your hands to tie a knot in this string for me!
🎥 V I D E O : "What About Grandpa? | A Story About Baptisms for the Dead"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a story about a boy who has a grandpa who never got baptized. The boy learns about baptisms for the dead. Let’s watch and see what the boy learns.”
[Watch Video: “What About Grandpa? | A Story About Baptisms for the Dead”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why couldn’t the boy’s grandpa be baptized for himself? (Because he didn’t have a body.)
2) How did the boy’s grandpa learn about Jesus Christ? (Missionaries in the spirit world taught him about Jesus Christ.)
3) If the grandpa doesn't have a body any more, how can he be baptized? (Someone with a body can be baptized for him!)
4) Where are the baptismal fonts that are used for people in the spirit world? (Inside the temple.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.
1) Who preached the gospel to the dead? (Messengers who had power and authority.)
2) Who sent the messengers to teach the gospel? (Jesus Christ.)
These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands…
2) What are some of the things that the missionaries teach about in the spirit world?” (Faith in God, repentance from sin, baptisms for the dead, and the gift of the Holy Ghost.)
For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
1) How can the people who are dead learn about the gospel? (They are taught about the gospel in the spirit world.)
2) Can they be baptized when they don’t have a body? (No.)
3) How can they be baptized? (Someone who is still living can be baptized for them!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
[Pass out the coloring page]
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about your ancestors, and vicarious baptisms for the dead.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!
Click HERE to find out more!