The Lord loves us, is aware of us, and desires our growth and happiness. At times we must be patient with the Lord's will and timing in our lives. It can take weeks, months, and sometimes years for the God's hand to be revealed in our lives. Sometimes we may feel alone, but we must trust that God is working in our lives and preparing a way for us, even if the process is slow. This week's lesson teaches about patiently waiting on the Lord, with faith and trust.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Teach Me to Walk in the Light"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need a small glass of water, an empty glass of the same size, food coloring, and a paper towel.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Add food coloring (any color) to the glass of water. Place the glass of water and the empty glass next to each other. Roll up the paper towel into a long thin roll and bend the roll in half. Place one end of the paper towel in the glass of water, and the other end into the empty cup. Over time, the water will climb up the paper towel and flow down into the other cup (the entire process will take several hours).
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) This experiment is called the “Walking Water” experiment. What do you think is going to happen? (The water will slowly climb up the napkin and flow into the other glass.)
2) If the experiment takes a long time, does that mean we should stop the experiment? Or, does it mean we need to be patient and keep waiting? (It means we need to be patient and keep waiting.)
3) When the Lord gives us commandments, He also promises blessings. If the Lord’s blessings and promises are taking a long time to happen, does that mean we should stop following the Lord? Or, should we be patient and keep waiting? (It means we must be patient and keep waiting.)
(Note: At the very end of this lesson, look at the experiment together again to check for progress. Discuss the themes from the lesson again together while you talk about the experiment.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Ellie and the Flower Garden | Waiting on the Lord"
Now we are going to watch a video about a girl named Ellie! Ellie decides to plant her very own flower garden! But, it’s taking a long time for the flowers to grow. Let’s watch and see what Ellie does!
[Watch Video: “Ellie and the Flower Garden | Waiting on the Lord”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) When her flowers were taking a long time to grow, what did Ellie decide to do? (She decided to keep doing the work, steady and slow! And she kept waiting on the Lord to make the flowers grow!)
2) What happened in the end? (The flowers grew and blossomed and filled the garden!)
3) When we have faith and keep doing what the Lord has asked us to do, what will happen in the end? (The Lord will keep his promises, and we will be blessed!)
4) If we feel like we are waiting on the Lord for a long time, what do you think we should do? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read Lamentations 3:25]
The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
1) If we are patient and continue to follow the Lord and wait on Him, what will happen in the end? (We will be blessed.)
2) When the Lord makes a promise, can we trust Him? (Yes!)
[Read Mosiah 24:15]
And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
1) When Alma and his brothers had heavy burdens to bear, what did they do? (They were cheerful and patient in their trials, and they trusted the Lord.)
Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him…
1) What do you think it means to wait patiently for the Lord? (Discuss.)
2) What do you think would look like if we were waiting impatiently for the Lord? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page, one for each child. Invite children to color the image from the video and to draw flowers in the garden! Use this time to talk about faith, diligence, trust, and waiting patiently on the Lord!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
A special thank you to our sponsor Tiny 3D Temples who helped make this week's video possible! They are giving away a FREE Temple Music Light!
Your child will love such a beautiful and meaningful night light!
It plays music, lights up in the dark, and is a daily reminder of the temple!