Put on the Armor of God: Oct 2nd - 8th
We are in a spiritual battle. Our hearts, and the hearts or our children are at stake. We must all choose between right and wrong, and we must choose whether we will follow Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
God has prepared some spiritual armor that will protect our hearts during this battle. But, the armor won’t protect us if we don’t put it on!
We hope your kids will have a blast with this lesson and that they will feel a renewed desire to arm themselves with faith, truth, righteousness!
It would be unwise to go into battle unarmed and vulnerable. Rather, let us put on the armor of God!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an umbrella and a glass of water.
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Dare to Do Right"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite a volunteer to stand in front of the other children and hold the umbrella. Tell the volunteer to not to open the umbrella, but to hold it over their head (with the umbrella still closed).
Next, hold the glass of water over the volunteer’s head as if you were going to pour the water out. (Don’t actually pour out any water!)
While you are holding up the glass of water, discuss the following questions with everyone:
1) What does an umbrella do? (When it is raining, it can protect us from the water and it can help keep us dry!)
2) What if we don’t open the umbrella? Will it still work? (No!)
3) What do you think will happen if we pour out the water? (The volunteer will get wet!)
Invite the volunteer to return to their seat and then explain the following:
“We are in a spiritual battle. And the battle is for our hearts. We must choose between right and wrong, and we must choose if we will follow Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Just like an umbrella can protect us from rain, Heavenly Father has also given us some things to protect us in our spiritual battle! It’s like spiritual armor! But, the armor won’t work if we don’t put it on! Just like the umbrella doesn’t work if we don’t open it.”
🎥 V I D E O : "Put on the Armor of God | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we’re going to watch a video about someone going into a pretend video game battle. Let’s see if the character remembers to put on his armor!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What happened when he wasn’t wearing his armor? (He kept getting hit by the arrows!)
2) Why do you think he didn’t wear his armor? (He probably thought it would be too much work to put it on. He just wanted to hurry up and get started in the battle!)
3) After trying lots of times, what lesson did the boy learn? (He learned that it’s better to prepare for the battle by putting on the armor!)
4) What happened when he did wear his armor? (He was protected from the arrows and the rockets!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following verses and discuss the questions that follow.
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
1) What do you think it means to be “strong in the Lord?” (It means if we stay close to him, His strength can help us.)
2) What are the wiles of the devil? What does the word “wiles” mean? (Wiles are the tricks and traps and lies that someone uses to get us to do what they want.)
3) How can we be protected against the wiles of the Devil? (We must put on the Armor of God.)
“Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:”
1) What will happen in our spiritual battle if we don’t put on the armor of God? (We won’t be protected. It’s like having a closed umbrella in the rain!)
2) What will happen in our spiritual battle if we do put on the armor of God? (God can use His power to protect our hearts. It’s like standing under an open umbrella in the rain!)
3) How can truth help us? (If we don’t know the truth, we will know what to do or who to follow. If we don’t know the truth, then it’s easy for the enemy to trick us.)
4) How can faith help us? (Faith means taking action! If we have faith, we will go and do the things that the Lord asks us to do! If we don’t have faith, we might feel like giving up.)
5) Where can we find the word of God? (In the scriptures.)
6) How can the word of God help us? (The word of God teaches us what to do! We can learn about God’s power and His promises, and that will give us even more faith!)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out a copy of the activity pages to each child. Invite the children to “put on the Armor of God” by cutting out the pieces of armor and gluing them on the character from the video. Tell the children to use the checklist to keep track of the armor they have put on the character.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
How can I download Latter Day Kids videos to my device?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures Streaming app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to save, and click the download button (right beneath the video description)!
New to Living Scriptures Streaming?
Use the link below to try it out for 30 days without spending a dime!
You can watch all of the Latter Day Kids videos on a kid-friendly platform (no ads!), plus more than 5,000 other inspirational titles curated especially for LDS audiences!
See for yourself: