The Lord included honesty in one of the original ten commandments, he gave only ten and honesty made the list. It is a typical stage of child development to lie, and it takes years of mistakes, growth and moral strength to develop an honest heart. As your families discuss honesty this week, we hope this lesson will give your children a chance to reflect on their own hearts and desire to be honest in all they do and say.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Choose the Right"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need some yarn or string. Before the lesson, use a lot of the yarn to make a tangled up mess with many knots in it that would be difficult to untangle. Use another (smaller) piece of yarn to tie a single knot very loosely, that could easily be loosened and untied.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Set a time limit and invite the children to take turns trying to straighten out the tangled mess! The tangles should be bad enough that it’s impossible to untangle quickly.
Next, ask for a volunteer to untangle the string with a single (loose) knot.
When you have finished the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Was it easy to untangle these knots? (Discuss.)
2) Which one was easier? Why? (Discuss.)
3) Which one was more difficult? Why? (Discuss.)
Explain: God has taught us that it is very important to be honest. Being honest means to tell the truth. When we are honest with ourselves, honest with others, and honest with Heavenly Father, we can feel peace in our hearts and we can feel the Holy Ghost. (Hold up the untangled string.)
But if we choose to be dishonest, we won’t feel peace in our hearts, and we won’t be able to feel the Holy Ghost. (Hold up the tangled ball of string.) Our hearts can feel like a tangled mess!
🎥 V I D E O : " Tangled Wires | A Story About Honesty"
Say: Now we are going to watch a video about a robot whose wires get tangled up when he chooses to tell a lie. Let’s watch and see what happens when the wires get tangled up!
[Watch Video: “Tangled Wires | A Story About Honesty”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What happened when the robot decided to tell a lie? (His wires got tangled up and everything stopped working!)
2) What did the robot have to do to untangle the wires? (He needed to tell the truth.)
3) If it’s bad for the robot, why did the robot choose to be dishonest? (He wanted the speaker box!)
4) How can the robot remember to be honest next time, even if he wants something? (Discuss.)
5) Why do our hearts feel like tangled up wires when we are dishonest? (Because we don’t feel peace, and we can’t feel the Holy Ghost as much.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
9 And let every man deal honestly, and be alike among this people, and receive alike, that ye may be one, even as I have commanded you.
1) Were the robots in the video dealing honestly with each other?” (Not at first, but then they did in the end.)
2) What do you think it means to “deal honestly” with each other? (Discuss.)
2 For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round.
1) Do you think Heavenly Father has a tangled up heart? (No! He does not walk in crooked paths and His paths are straight! He does not lie!)
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
1) What does it mean to “bear false witness?” (It means to tell a lie.)
2) Who is speaking in this verse? (God is speaking to Moses. He is giving him the Ten Commandments.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to draw straight wires that are working inside the robot who is being honest. Next, invite the children to draw a messy knot of tangled wires that aren’t working inside the robot who is being dishonest!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.