Consider Your Ways: Dec. 5th-11th
On our journey through this mortal existence we experience many seasons, changes, twists and turns. Sometimes we can go through times when we feel lost and directionless. The Lord wants us to become the very best version of ourselves. To do so we must have honest evaluations of our own thoughts, actions, and hearts. This "checking in" is an important part of our progression. In Haggai the Lord says it this way..."consider your ways." This lesson invites each family member to "consider their ways." Are we moving toward the Savior? Are we spending time drawing near unto Him?
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Teach Me to Walk in the Light"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need a toy car, a blindfold, and some masking tape. Use the tape to mark an “X” on the floor on one side of the room.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Ask for a volunteer. Place the blindfold on the volunteer and tell them to crawl along the floor and “drive” the car to the “X” from the opposite side of the room! (Spin them around a few times before they begin to disorient them.) Once the volunteer runs into an obstacle, or if the volunteer believes they have reached the “X,” have them remove the blindfold to see how they did.
Allow each of the children to try this.
Once all of the children have attempted the challenge, discuss the following questions:
1) Was it easy to drive to the “X” with the blindfold on? (No, it was very difficult!)
2) Why was it so hard to do? (They weren’t allowed to look where they were going.)
3) While you were trying to drive to the “X,” did you want to take the blindfold off? (Yes!)
4) Why did you want to look? (So that they could see where they were and where they were going.)
5) If we are trying to be like Heavenly Father and return to Him, do you think it is important to see where we are going? Do you want to know if you are getting closer to Him? (Yes!)
Explain that our journey back to Heavenly Father is kind of like driving the car to the “X.” If we don’t take time to look where we are going, it will be very hard to reach our goal!
🎥 V I D E O : "Consider Your Ways | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about an old man who had a farm! He wasn’t really thinking about what he was doing. Let’s watch and see what happens!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) When the old man wasn’t considering his ways, what happened? (His melons were falling out of the cart.)
2) What did the bird remind him to do? (The bird reminded him to consider his ways!)
3) When the old man considered his ways, did he think of a better choice? (Yes! He realized he could close the tailgate to the wagon, and he realized he should help the little boy with no shoes.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.
1) What does it mean to consider our ways? (It means to think about what we are doing to see if we can make a better choice.)
2) Where can we find out what the best choices are? (By reading the scriptures and listening to the Holy Ghost.)
3) What do you think will happen if we consider our ways every day? (The Holy Ghost will help us think of the very best choices!)
[Read the last part of 2 Nephi 32:3]
Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.
1) What does it mean to feast upon the words of Christ? (It means to read His words, think about them, and to read his words as much as we can when we have them!)
2) What will the words of Christ tell us? (They will tell us all the things that we should do!)
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is speaking.)
2) Who knows the best ways? Us? Or the Lord? (The Lord knows the best ways!)
3) When we consider our ways, what should we be thinking about? (We should think about whether our ways match the Lord’s ways.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page, one for each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about what it means to consider our ways as the Lord has instructed us to do.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline? The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!) We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk