The video this week, "A Soft Heart" goes along with Hebrews 3:8 , "Harden not your hearts...". Children will be taught what the difference is between a soft heart and a hard heart.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Feel My Savior's Love"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite children to cover their ears and make lots of noise while you attempt to whisper something
to them. (Whisper quietly to each child, so that they can’t hear you. Say something kind, such as, “I love you” or “you are a great kid.”)
After attempting this, ask the following questions:
1) What did you hear when I was whispering to you? (Nothing - just noise!)
2) Did you think about what you heard? (No)
3) Do you think the words made it into your heart? (No)
Now invite children to sit very still with hands in their laps while you whisper the same thing in their ears. After whispering something to all children, ask the following questions:
1) What did you hear when I was whispering to you?
2) After you heard the words, were you still thinking about what you heard?
3) Do you think the words made it into your heart?
🎥 V I D E O : "Faith is Like Planting a Seed"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about a hard heart and a soft heart. Watch and see if you can tell me what it means to have a soft heart!”
[Watch Video: “A Soft Heart | Kids Animated Scripture Lesson”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What do you think it means to have a hard heart? (Discuss)
2) What do you think it means to have a soft heart? (Discuss)
3) Why do you think we have a hard heart sometimes? (Discuss)
4) What can we do to make our hearts soft? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Invite children to find an answer to the following question while you read the verses:
“What do the scriptures tell us we should do to hear Heavenly Father’s voice?”
After reading the verses, discuss the following questions:
1) What do the scriptures tell us we should do to hear Heavenly Father’s voice?
(Harden not our hearts.)
2) Can you think of a time when you had a soft heart and you let Heavenly Father inside your heart?”
3) What do you think we can do to have a soft heart? (Discuss)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to read each phrase, choose a color, and then draw a path for that phrase so that the phrase makes it all the way to the center of the heart!
Children may also fill each path completely with the corresponding color so that the heart is filled.
Also consider playing some primary songs during this activity and invite children to listen to the words with a “soft heart” during the activity and practice letting Heavenly Father into their hearts.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.