Why We Build Temples
From the beginning the Lord has given instruction and spoke with His servants in Holy Places. Often it was on mountain tops. When possible the Lord commanded His followers to build temples a sacred place to be taught, to preform ordinances and to commune with Him. Temples were build anciently as evidenced in the Bible. The Nephites built a temple after they were established in the promised land. Today we are a temple building people. Temples bless us and those who have gone on before. They are a part of the fullness of the gospel. This week's lesson will invite your family to consider why we build temples and how they bless us.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Love to See the Temple"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a few sheets of aluminum foil and a lego person for each child. (If you don’t have any lego persons available, you can use any other small toy figure).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass out a few sheets of aluminum foil and a lego person to each child. Then give the children the following instructions: “This lego person is you! The Lord has asked you to build a special place where He can talk to you and give you blessings and instructions! Use the aluminum foil to build this special and reverent place! You have five minutes to build it!”
When the children are finished, have them put the lego person inside their structure, and then have the children display their creations together in the front of the room.
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) How did you feel in your heart when you were building this special place where the Lord could talk to you? What were you thinking about? (Discuss.)
2) Has the Lord asked us to build places like this for real? (Yes!)
3) What are these places? (Temples!)
4) Why do you think the Lord has commanded us to build special places like this? (So we can hear Him better, so we can think of Him instead of being distracted, so that we can protect that place and keep it special, etc..)
Explain: Heavenly Father has commanded us to build special places where he can talk to us, teach us, and give us blessings. These places are called holy temples!
🎥 V I D E O : "Why We Build Temples | Animated Scriptures Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about holy temples! While you are watching, see if you can find out why Heavenly Father wants us to build temples.
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why does Heavenly Father want us to build temples? (Discuss.)
2) Why did Moses and his people make a temple that was a tent and not a building? (So they could take it with them when they were moving around.)
3) What did Heavenly Father command Joseph Smith to do when the church was restored? (Build a temple!)
4) Do you know how many temples are on the earth today? (There are currently 168 dedicated temples around the world!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Yea, verily I say unto you, I gave unto you a commandment that you should build a house, in the which house I design to endow those whom I have chosen with power from on high;
1) Who is the Lord talking to in this verse? (Joseph Smith and the saints in Kirtland, Ohio.)
2) Why did the Lord command the saints to build a temple? (To give them blessings from on high!)
And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
1) What happened in these verses? (Jesus Christ blessed his disciples after He was resurrected, then He left and went up into heaven.)
2) What did the disciples do after Jesus left and went up into heaven? (They were continually in the temple!)
3) Why do you think they spent a lot of time in the temple? (Discuss.)
And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things;
1) Who built a temple in this verse? (Nephi built a temple!)
2) Why do you think Nephi built a temple? (He was commanded to. The Lord wanted them to have a special place where He could talk to Nephi and his people, and give them instructions and blessings.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to cut out the rectangles and then assemble the image of the Salt Lake temple. Use this time to talk about why Heavenly Father commands us to build temples
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.