What is the Priesthood?
The Priesthood, what do your kids know about it? What exactly is the Priesthood? This week's lesson will explain why we need the Priesthood and what it is.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
*** LESSON DOWNLOAD
***[COLOR Activity Pages DOWNLOAD]
***[BLACK & WHITE Activity Pages DOWNLOAD]
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Find a small lamp or desk light that you can use for the introduction activity. It would be good to have a power strip or extension cord as well, so that children can easily see when the light is plugged in and when it is unplugged.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Display the light in a place where everyone can see it, but leave it unplugged for now. Say “To start our lesson today, I’m going to turn on this light.” Attempt to turn on the light several times while the children watch.
1) Why won’t this light turn on? (It’s not plugged in.)
2) Why do we need to plug it in? (It has electricity/power.)
3) If it’s not plugged in to the power, will it ever work? (No.)
Now plug in the light and turn it on!
1) Can the light work by itself? Or does it need something else to make light? (It needs something else.)
2) What does the light need in order to make light? (Power/electricity.)
Explain: Today we are learning about the priesthood. The priesthood is God’s power. It’s the power He uses to do good things for all of us. Sometimes, God lets us use His priesthood power to help Him do His work.
Can you think of anything that God lets us do with His priesthood power? (Perform baptisms, bestow the Gift of the Holy Ghost, give priesthood blessings, administer the sacrament, etc.)
Just like this light can’t turn on by itself, we can’t do God’s work by ourselves. (Turn off the light.) If we try to do his work without His priesthood power, that’s kind of like trying to turn on a light without any electricity. We need to have the priesthood power from Heavenly Father. (Turn on the light again.)
🎥 V I D E O : "What is the Priesthood?"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about the priesthood. Try to find the answer to this question while you are watching: What are three things that were done with the power of the priesthood?”
[Watch Video: “What is the Priesthood?/ Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What is the priesthood? (The power of God.)
2) Can you remember three things in the video that were done with the power of the priesthood? (Creation of the world, Jesus Christ performing miracles, Samuel the Lamanite was protected, Moses parted the Red Sea, 16 stones made light for the Jaredites.)
3) Did those people have permission to use the Priesthood? (Yes.)
4) How did they get permission to use the priesthood? (Laying on of hands by someone who has the authority.)
5) Were these people plugged in to the power of the priesthood? (Yes.)
6) What did they have to do to be plugged in to the power? (Keep the commandments.)
7) Can we do baptisms or bless the sacrament without the priesthood? (No.)
8) Why not? (It won’t work without the power, just like the light won’t work without the power.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
[Read the second part of Alma 13:1]
1 “...and I would that ye should remember that the Lord God ordained priests, after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people.”
1) Did these priests have the power from God to teach? (Yes.)
2) How did they get it? (From God. They were ordained by one who had authority.)
[Read Alma 13:10]
10 “Now, as I said concerning the holy order, or this high priesthood, there were many who were ordained and became high priests of God; and it was on account of their exceeding faith and repentance, and their righteousness before God, they choosing to repent and work righteousness rather than to perish;”
1) How many people were ordained to the priesthood? (Many.)
2) Were they plugged into the power of the priesthood? (Yes.)
3) How? (They showed exceeding faith, repentance and righteousness.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out activity pages.
***[COLOR activity pages DOWNLOAD]
***[BLACK & WHITE activity pages DOWNLOAD]
[Pass out activity pages]
Follow the directions on the activity pages. Use this activity as an opportunity to discuss the power and authority of the priesthood.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.