The Word of Wisdom: August 16th-22nd
In the early days of the church the brethren were using chewing tobacco in meetings and were making a big mess! Joseph Smith inquired of the Lord about the use of tobacco, and God's answer was the revelation know as "The Word of Wisdom" found in D&C 89.
This revelation was given to guide us in making good choice about what food and substances we put into our bodies. The Lord created our bodies and He knows what is best for our bodies! It can be a hard commandment to keep! There are so many foods available that don't nourish our bodies. Each of us, through personal revelation and by adhering to the Word of Wisdom, can discover how to best heal, nourish, and strengthen our bodies by what we consume.
The blessing promised for keeping the Word of Wisdom are incredible! "And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." (D&C 89:18-20)
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "The Lord Gave Me a Temple"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need three plastic water bottles. Fill one water bottle completely with water. Fill another one partially with water (about half way), and empty out the last water bottle completely.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite the children to take turns trying to do a bottle flip with the empty bottle. (A bottle flip involves throwing a plastic bottle into the air so that it rotates, in an attempt to land it upright on its base or cap. If you are still unsure of what a bottle flip is, look it up on the internet.) Give them plenty of time to attempt this (it is nearly impossible). Next, invite the children to take turns trying to do a bottle flip with the bottle that is full of water (this is also nearly impossible). Now, invite the children to take turns trying to do a bottle flip with the partially filled water bottle. This will still take several attempts, but it is much easier to do! Allow them to keep trying until someone completes a successful bottle flip!
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) Did the bottle flip work very well when the bottle was empty? (No.)
2) Did the bottle flip work very well when the bottle was too full? (No.)
3) When did the bottle flip work the best? (When there was just the right amount of water inside!)
Explain: Did you know our bodies are kind of like these water bottles? If we eat and drink the right things, then we can be healthy and strong - just like when the bottle worked better when it had the right things inside. Heavenly Father created us, and in the scriptures He has taught us some things we can do to take care of our bodies. These special scriptures are called “The Word of Wisdom.”
🎥 V I D E O : "Draw Near Unto Me | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids "
Now we are going to watch a video about The Word of Wisdom. See if you can remember three things that Heavenly Father said are good for our body.
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some of the things that Heavenly Father said are good for the body? (Discuss.)
2) What are some of the things that Heavenly Father said are not good for the body? (Discuss.)
3) How are our bodies like an engine? (Discuss.)
4) Can you remember the blessings Heavenly Father said we would receive if we do these things and keep the commandments? (We will be blessed with wisdom and knowledge, and we will run and not be weary and walk and not faint.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord.)
2) What is our “navel?” (Our belly button! It’s where we got all of the vitamins and nutrients we needed from our mother before we were born!)
1) What is bone marrow? (Bone marrow is inside our bones, and bone marrow makes blood cells to help us fight infections and to be healthy.)
2) What did the Lord promise us in this verse? (That if we do these sayings, we shall receive health in our navel and marrow in our bones.)
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
1) What did the Lord promise us in this verse? (We will be blessed with wisdom and knowledge!)
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
1) What did the Lord promise us in this verse? (Discuss things like energy, and not feeling tired or worn out.)
2) Why do you think Heavenly Father wants us to know these things? (Because He loves us and He wants us to have the blessings!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the coloring pages from the video. Use this time to discuss the Word of Wisdom and the blessings that are promised through obedience to this law.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!