The Song of the Heart
The Lord sent a revelation directly to Emma Smith. In this revelation the Lord ask Emma to compile song to be made into a hymnal that the saints could use in their worship services. The Lord said this, "The song of the righteous is a prayer unto me." As we raise our voices in song to our Heavenly Father our song can be a prayer to him. What a beautiful scripture!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "A Child's Prayer"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a whiteboard (or a large sheet of paper or poster board) and a timer.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite the children to think of things that make Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ happy. Tell the children that the goal is to think of as many things as they can in one minute. Draw a happy face on the whiteboard (or on the large sheet of paper) for each answer the children come up with. Set the timer for one minute and begin! When the time runs out, count how many things the children were able to think of.
Explain: Today’s lesson is about something that makes Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ really happy! Tell the children you are going to read a scripture to them, and to see if they can guess what it is!
(Explain that the Lord is speaking in this verse)
“For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart.” -D&C 25:12
Now discuss the following questions:
1) Do you know what “delight” means? (A feeling of great happiness of pleasure.)
2) What is it that delights the Lord? (The song of the heart.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Song of the Heart | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch three little birds who like to sing! Let’s watch and see if anyone is delighted when they hear the birds singing!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Who got to hear the birds singing? (The woodpecker, the beavers, and the turtle.)
2) Do you think the other animals were delighted when they heard the singing? (Yes!)
3) How did you know they were delighted? (They were dancing and joining in with the singing!)
4) Do you think Jesus is delighted when you sing? (Discuss.)
5) What are your favorite things to sing about? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
11 And it shall be given thee, also, to make a selection of sacred hymns as it shall be given thee, which is pleasing unto me, to be had in my church.
1) Do you know who the Lord is talking to in this verse? (Emma Smith.)
2) What does the Lord ask Emma to do? (To choose to be sung in the church.)
3) Why do you think the Lord wanted Emma to do this? (Discuss.)
19 ...Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
1) Do you know who is speaking in this verse? (The apostle Paul.)
2) Do you know who the apostle Paul is speaking to? (To the members of the church.)
3) What did the Apostle Paul teach the members of the church to do? (To speak to each other in hymns and songs, and to sing to the Lord.)
9 And they did sing praises unto the Lord; yea, the brother of Jared did sing praises unto the Lord, and he did thank and praise the Lord all the day long; and when the night came, they did not cease to praise the Lord.
1) Do you know who this verse is talking about? (It’s when the Jaredites were traveling across the ocean in the barges.)
2) Who were they singing to while they were in the barges? (They were singing to the Lord.)
3) How long did they sing and give thanks to the Lord? (All day long.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scenes from the video and to fill in the bubbles with the things that they want to sing about. Use this time to talk about the singing and how it delights Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ when we sing songs of the heart.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Many thanks to this week's video sponsor Kanga Toys!
These aqua brush book sets are affordable, mess-free, reusable, and fun! Each scene also has hidden items to search for, and there are short explanations and scriptures that go with each scene as well! Our kids have loved these, and we're positive your kids will love them too!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.