The Scriptures Are A Blessing: July 11th-17th
The scriptures are a blessing to us! So many answers come from studying the words found therein. We can be warned, corrected, comforted, and given insights as we study the Lord's word.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Scripture Power"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Before the lesson, choose a scripture that you feel would be meaningful for each child and write the verses out by hand on separate pieces of paper (one for each child). Address the verse to the child, as if you were writing a letter. Sign the letter “Love, Heavenly Father.” Place the paper in an envelope and seal the envelope. Address the envelope to the child, and write “Heavenly Father” as the sender.
Where possible, you could also place a stamp on the envelope and place it in your mailbox for the children to retrieve.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Hand the children their sealed letters (or, if you placed the letters in the mailbox, invite children to retrieve the letters from the mailbox), but instruct them not to open them yet.
Discuss the following questions:
1) Are you excited to open your letter from Heavenly Father? (Yes!)
2) Do you want to open it? (Yes!)
3) What if Heavenly Father wrote you a letter and you didn’t want to open it and read it? How do you think Heavenly Father would feel? (Discuss.)
4) If Heavenly Father really wrote you a letter, what do you think he would want to say to you? (Discuss.)
Hold up a copy of the scriptures. Explain that the scriptures are kind of like a letter to us from Heavenly Father! In the scriptures, Heavenly Father has told us the things that He wants us to know. If we will read the scriptures and live by what they say, the scriptures can bless us every day!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Scriptures Turn My Heart to Christ | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Explain: “We are going to watch a video about blessings that come from reading the scriptures! See if you can remember three different ways the scriptures can help us.”
[Watch Video: “The Scriptures Turn My Heart to Christ | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Can you remember some of the ways the scriptures can help us? (The scriptures remind us that we are children of God, they help us make choices, they help us build on the rock of Jesus Christ, they give us comfort and peace and turn our hearts to Christ, and they fill our minds with spiritual knowledge.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
And the king went up into the house of the Lord, and all the men of Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem with him, and the priests, and the prophets, and all the people, both small and great: and he read in their ears all the words of the book of the covenant which was found in the house of the Lord.
1) Why do you think the King wanted to read the scriptures to his people? (Discuss the ways we are blessed when we read the scriptures and live by what they teach.)
2) Do you think Heavenly Father was happy with what the King did? Why? (Discuss.)
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
1) When do you think Heavenly Father wants us to start reading the scriptures? When we are old? Or when we are children? (When we are children!)
2) Why do you think it is important to start reading the scriptures when we are young? (Discuss.)
Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.
1) Where can we learn about all the things that we should do? (The words of Christ will tell us all things we should do!)
2) Where can we find the words of Christ? (In the scriptures.)
3) What did Nephi tell us to do with the words of Christ? (He said to feast on the words of Christ!)
4) What do you think it means to feast on the words of Christ? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to open the letter now, and to read the scripture addressed to them inside! Remind them that all of the scriptures are like a letter to them from a loving Heavenly Father.
Pass out the coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about the ways that we are blessed when we read the scriptures and apply the teachings in our lives.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk