The Lord is the shepherd of each and every one of us. He is the Good Shepherd who is aware of each and every sheep in His fold. Knowing how much the Lord loves us and cares for us can give us strength and peace as we navigate the difficulties of our mortal experience. We have never strayed too far to be found. His love is every ready for each of us!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Come Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Cut out the sheep from the printed activity page.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Cut out the paper sheep from the printed activity page and hide the sheep throughout the room. Invite the children to act as the shepherd and seek out the lost sheep until all six of them are found.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Who do you think the Shepherd represents? (Jesus Christ.)
2) In the scriptures, why do you think Jesus Christ is called “The Good Shepherd?” (Talk about things that Jesus Christ does to take care of us and to lead us.)
3) Who do you think the sheep represent? (Each one of us!)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Story of Job | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about shepherds! Watch and see if you can remember three things that a shepherd does!”
[Watch Video: “The Lord is My Shepherd - Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids” ]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some things that a shepherd does? (Knows his sheep by name, leads them to food and water, protects them from danger.)
2) In what ways is Jesus Christ like a shepherd? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
1) Who is our shepherd? (The Lord is our shepherd!)
2) What does it mean when the scripture says “I shall not want?” (It means that if we follow the Lord, we will have all the things we need.)
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
1) Is the Lord strong enough to protect us spiritually? (Yes!)
2) What has he done to help us escape from sin? (He took our sins upon Himself so that we can repent and be forgiven through Him!)
3) What has Jesus Christ done to help us escape from death? (He conquered death and unlocked the way for all of us to be resurrected!)
Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price.
1) Who does the Lord invite to come unto Him? (Everyone! He doesn’t turn any of us away!)
2) Do you think that the Lord knows your name? Does He know who you are? (Yes! And He loves you!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the image from the video. Use this time to talk about our relationship to Jesus Christ. Talk about how He feels about us, and why we need Him.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk