The Good Samaritan: April 17th-23rd
“And who is my neighbor?”
Jesus answered this somewhat flippant question with a very challenging parable: two religious leaders turn a blind eye to a man in need, and the protagonist of the parable is someone who the jews absolutely despise!
It’s as if Jesus wanted the message to be unmistakably clear: What matters most to the Lord is how we treat one another.
Learning to love our neighbor (all of them!) as ourselves is not an easy task. It’s even more difficult to teach this same principle to our children. The “man who showed mercy” was the true neighbor and Jesus has commanded us to “go and do likewise!” We hope this lesson will help you both in that endeavor!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "As I Have Loved You"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need 5-10 different containers with detachable lids ( for example: jars, sippy cups, empty food canisters, gift boxes, etc.) and a large bag or backpack. Before you begin the lesson, place all of the lids inside the backpack.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Set all the containers out in a row where everyone can see them. Allow children to take turns drawing a lid from the bag, and placing the lid in front of the container that they think is the correct match for the lid (don’t put the lid on yet). Once all of the lids have been placed in front of the containers, invite the children to place all the lids on the containers to see if they guessed correctly!
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How many lids did you guess correctly? (Discuss.)
2) How did you know which container was the right one for each lid? (Talk about how the children needed to look closely, pay attention and observe! Discuss some of the things they noticed such as color, shape, size, how the lid attaches, etc.)
3) Have you ever noticed someone who needed help? How did you know that they needed help? (Discuss things that can give you clues, like someone is shivering, something out of place, etc.)
4) When we notice someone who needs help, what did Jesus teach us to do? (To try to help them!)
Explain: Jesus taught us to love everyone! But sometimes, we might not notice the people around us who need help. But if we learn to look closely and pay attention and observe (like when we were looking at the lids), we’ll be able to find many ways to love and serve other people!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Good Samaritan | Animated Scripture Lesson"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a man who needs help. Let’s see if anyone will notice what the man needs.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the man need? (Discuss the things that the man needed such as bandages, rest, a ride, etc.)
2) Was there anyone in the story who noticed what the man needed? (The Priest, the Levite, and the Samaritan all noticed that the man needed help.)
3) Why do you think that the Priest and the Levite didn’t want to help the man? (Maybe the men were too busy. Maybe they didn’t want to get dirty by touching the hurt man. Maybe they wanted to spend their money on something instead of giving it to the man.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following verses together, and discuss the questions that follow.
Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
1) Which of the people in the story showed love to his neighbor? (The Samaritan.)
2) What did the Samaritan do to show love and compassion to the man who was hurt? (Discuss the things the Samaritan did to serve the man.)
3) What are some things you can do to show love and compassion to family members? (Discuss some ideas for ways to love and serve one another.)
But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
1) What is charity? (It is the pure love of Christ.)
2) If we have charity in our hearts for one another, what does that mean? (It means we love one another as Jesus loves us.)
3) What are some things that have an ending? (Discuss ideas, such as the school year, a birthday party, a song, etc.)
4) Does Christ’s love ever end? Ever? (No!)
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love...
1) What is something we can do to have more charity in our hearts? (Pray with all the energy of heart and ask to be filled with this love!)
2) If we don’t understand what someone needs or if we don’t know what they need, what can we do? (We can pray for them, and we can pray to ask Heavenly Father to fill our hearts with charity for them.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E S
Pass out the coloring pages, one to each child. Invite the children to color the activity page and to practice having charity by drawing the things that the characters are in need of.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download our videos directly to your device?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures Streaming app! Just open the app, go to the video you want to download, and click the download button!
Living Scriptures Streaming is a faith-focused streaming service made just for Latter Day Saints!
We’ve partnered with Living Scriptures Streaming to get you an exclusive 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers!
If you’ve never tried living scriptures before, why not take it for a test drive?
Watch Latter Day Kids videos (and everything else) ad free!
Download anything on the platform straight to your device!
Get access right here: