The Field is White, Already to Harvest
As the Lord began to restore the gospel through Joseph Smith, he told Joseph, "the field is white, already to harvest." This analogy is repeated in many other places throughout the scriptures. The Lord is doing a great and marvelous work. Many hearts are prepared to receive Jesus Christ right now! If we have desires to serve God, we are called to the work! We are qualified through "faith, hope, charity, and love with an eye single to the glory of God."
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Pages HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Called to Serve"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
A cup of dry whole wheat kernels, a towel, and an image of Jesus Christ. (If you don’t have any whole wheat kernels, you can substitute for anything else that is small that you have a lot of - such as popcorn kernels, dry beans, etc.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Lay the towel on a table or on the floor, then place the image of Jesus in the center of the towel and spread the kernels all over the towel around the image. Ask for a volunteer. Invite the volunteer to use their hands and “gather” as many kernels as they can in ten seconds by placing them on the image of Jesus one at a time (one by one)!
Now repeat the timed activity, but this time everyone gets to help! When time runs out, leave everything in place
Discuss the following questions after you have completed the activity.
1) How much were you able to gather when only one person was gathering? (Discuss.)
2) How much were you able to gather when more people were gathering? (Discuss!)
3) If the kernels represent people, what do you think the gathering represents? (Bringing people to Jesus Christ.)
4) (Point to the seeds that are lying on the image of Jesus.) Do you think Jesus Christ loves these people? (Yes!)
5) (Now point to the kernels that are still on the towel.) Do you think Jesus Christ also loves these people? (Yes!)
6) What do you think Jesus wants us to do? (He calls us to help bring others unto Him).
Explain: Today, our lesson is about faith, doing God’s work, and bringing others to Jesus Christ!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Field is White | Animated Come Follow Me Lesson for Kids"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about helping others come to Jesus Christ! In the scriptures, Jesus said the field is white already to harvest. When you watch the video, see if you can find out what it means when the field is white.”
[Watch Video: “The Field is White | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What does it mean when the field is white? (It means the wheat field is ready to harvest.)
2) When the field is white, who does the farmer send to gather the wheat? (The workers.)
3) Who does Heavenly Father send to help gather people and help bring them to Christ? (She kept caring for the seeds.)
4) Does Heavenly Father want anyone to be left out? (No, He loves all of us very much and He wants every one of us to come to Jesus Christ.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
1 “Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.”
1) In this scripture, a marvelous work is going to happen. Whose work is it? (Heavenly Father's work.)
2) What is the marvelous work? (Heavenly Father’s children coming unto Jesus Christ.)
3 “Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;”
1) Who is called to help Heavenly Father with the marvelous work? (All of us! If we have a desire, we are called to the work.)
3 “For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;”
1) What does it mean when it says the “field is white, already to harvest?” (It means that there are lots of people who are ready to receive Jesus Christ and come unto Him.)
2) What does it mean to thrust in your sickle with all your might? (It means working really hard when we are doing God’s work.)
For a fun way to clean up, you could invite the children to “gather” the remaining wheat kernels on the towel for you!
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Read the scripture together at the top of the page. Use this opportunity to talk about doing God’s work and helping others to come unto Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you like what we are doing and you want to support us, please consider becoming a patron!
Patreon is a crowdfunding platform (like Kickstarter) but it works
on a monthly basis with smaller amounts.
Join us in making positive media that will help anchor young hearts
to the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ!
SUPPORT LATTER DAY KIDS ON PATREON
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.