The Easter Surprise: The Resurrection and The Atonement of Christ
As Easter approaches we want our kids to really understand the meaning behind the Easter holiday. Beyond the baskets, the bunny, the candy and the toys is the simple truth that Christ overcame death and that at Easter we celebrate his resurrection. This lesson will help your children be able to see the purpose of Easter beyond the fanfare.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Did Jesus Really Live Again?"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a cup that is opaque (not see-through), some paper towels, and another see-through cup with a small amount of water in it. Before the lesson begins, stack the paper towels together, fold them in half, and then roll them up. Bend the roll into a “C” shape and jam them tightly into the bottom of the opaque cup so that they stay in position even when the cup is turned upside down.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold the cup of water up in front of the group. Explain that this is a glass of real water. Take a drink to show them it’s real. Drink the water until there is only about ⅛ cup left. Now hold up the opaque cup and pour the water into it. Wait for just a moment to allow the water to soak into the paper towel. Now tell the children that when you turn the cup around, no water will come out. Ask them if they believe you. Now, turn the cup upside down. It will appear that the water has vanished!
After this activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Did you see me pour the water into the cup? (Yes.)
2) What should have happened when I turned the cup upside down? (The water should have poured out of the cup.)
3) Did you believe me when I said no water would pour out of the cup? (Discuss.)
4) Were you surprised when no water poured out of the cup? (Yes.)
5) Jesus told many people that He would be resurrected after He died. Do you think His followers believed Him? (Yes.)
6) When Jesus was resurrected, do you think some of them were still surprised? (Yes!)
Explain the following: Today, we are going to learn about the resurrection of Jesus Christ. His body was in the tomb for three days after He died. When He was resurrected, it was a miracle!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Easter Surprise | Animated Scripture Lesson"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about a girl named Lily who is going on an Easter egg hunt! See if you can remember what surprises were inside each of the eggs!
[Watch Video: “The Easter Surprise | Animated Scripture Lesson”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Can you remember each of the surprises that Lily found in the eggs? (Jelly beans, marbles, money, a chocolate bunny, and an empty egg!)
2) What was the reason for the empty egg? What does that make us think about? (The empty tomb.)
3) Why was Mary sad when she went to the tomb? (She thought someone took Jesus’ body away.)
4) Why was the tomb empty? (Because Jesus was resurrected!)
5) Do you think Mary was surprised when she saw that Jesus was resurrected? (Yes!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre
1) Why was Mary weeping? (Because Jesus’ body was gone and she didn’t know where it was.)
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
1) Who spoke to Mary? (The resurrected Jesus!)
2) How do you think Mary felt when she saw Jesus? (Discuss.)
3) How do you think it will feel when we see the people that we love for the first time after they are resurrected? (Discuss.)
20 But behold, the bands of death shall be broken, and the Son reigneth, and hath power over the dead; therefore, he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead.
1) Who has power over death? (Jesus Christ!)
2) Who will be resurrected? (All of us will be resurrected because of Jesus Christ!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the images from the video as you talk together about the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Thank you to this week's video sponsor Kanga Toys!
These aqua brush book sets are affordable, mess-free, reusable, and fun! Each scene also has hidden items to search for, and there are short explanations and scriptures that go with each scene as well! Our kids have loved these, and we're positive your kids will love them too!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.