Take My Yoke Upon You: March 13th-19th
The Lord is our strength.
Mary knew this: “With God, nothing shall be impossible.”
Ammon knew this: “I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things.”
Paul knew this: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
Christ himself invites all of us to experience the same thing: “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
We hope that you and your children will have some memorable experiences and meaningful conversations together this week centered around this beautiful truth!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N:
You will need a stack of heavy books.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite a volunteer to stand with their arms extended forward in front of them at shoulder height with their palms facing up. Gently place a book in their hands and instruct them to try to keep their arms in position as long as they can. (If this is too easy, slowly add more books so that it becomes difficult.)
Allow the volunteer to rest for a moment, then repeat the activity. This time invite a second volunteer to stand across from the first volunteer to help hold the books in position. Add even more books this time to show the combined strength of the two people working together.
After the activity, invite the children to return to their seats and then discuss the following questions.
1) What happened when two people were working together to hold the weight up? (They were much stronger together.)
2) Who is the strongest person you can think of? (Jesus/Heavenly Father!)
3) In the scriptures, has the Lord ever offered to use His strength to help us? (Yes, He has!)
Explain: The Lord doesn't want to leave us alone! He has invited us to join with Him and He has offered to use His strength to help us! Today we are going to talk about joining our hearts with the Lord so that we are working together with Him!
🎥 V I D E O : "Take My Yoke Upon You | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about an ox who had to pull a load that was too heavy for the ox. Let’s watch and see how the ox becomes strong enough to pull the load!”
[Watch Video: “Take My Yoke Upon You | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) How did the ox become strong enough to pull the load?” (The ox was yoked together with another ox so that they could work together.)
2) What is a yoke? (It’s a board that joins oxen together so that they can work together as one.)
3) What has the Lord invited us to do? (To take His yoke upon us.)
4) Why do you think the Lord is inviting us to join with Him? (Because He loves us and He wants to help us. He doesn’t want us to have to pull a heavy load all by ourselves.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scripture verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
1) What does it mean when Jesus says “take my yoke upon you?” (He is inviting us to join together with Him so we can work together. He is offering to help us with His strength!)
2) Why do you think He told us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light? (He wanted us to know that He is strong enough to help us!)
3) What are some things we can do to join ourselves together with the Lord and take His yoke upon us? (We can make covenants with Him through ordinances like baptism and the sacrament. We can learn of Him. We can have faith in Him and try to do what He asks us to do.)
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
1) Who is talking in this verse? (The Apostle Paul is talking.)
2) How did Paul have enough strength to do everything that the Lord commanded him? (By joining together with Jesus Christ. He could do all things because of his faith in Christ.)
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Nephi.)
2) How did Nephi have enough strength to do everything that the Lord commanded him? (By joining together with Jesus Christ. He knew the Lord would give Him strength to do anything he was commanded to do.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about the things we can do to join ourselves together with Jesus Christ and take His yoke upon us.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Positive Media for Kids!
Wouldn’t it be nice if someone searched out all of the great content that’s ever been made - the content that actually promotes GOOD values and ideas - and put it all together into one digital library?
We think so, and that’s exactly what our friends at Living Scriptures have done! Bypass the sea of sludge and go straight to the good stuff! It’s all there in one convenient location.
We’ve partnered with Living Scriptures Streaming to get you an exclusive 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers!
Watch Latter Day Kids videos (and everything else) ad free!
Download anything on the platform straight to your device!
Get access right here: