Repentance- Come Follow Me: April 20th-26th
Each and every one of us has felt the weight of sin. When we truly repent, a sweet relief follows. This weeks lesson bundle and video guide children through the process of repentance and help them to see how continuing to hide sin just makes things worse!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Print the activity pages before the lesson. You will need to use one of the pages for the introduction
(the image of a car). As an alternate option, you could use any detailed image of a car.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite children to gather around the picture of a car. Hold the image upside-down while you proceed to tell the children about all the parts of the car. Be very descriptive so that the exercise lasts a couple of minutes. “This is a car. These are the headlights. Cars have headlights so that the driver can see where they are going when it’s dark outside...etc.”
If children notice that the car is turned upside down, and they ask you to turn it right side up, politely tell them that you must continue with the lesson. Keep describing the parts of a car without turning the picture around.
After completing the activity, keep holing up the image (upside down) while you discuss the following questions:
1) Did you notice that something was wrong while I was talking about this car? (the picture was upside down!)
2) Did you want me to turn the picture around? Why? (discuss)
3) Was it easy to ignore? Or did it bother you and distract you? (discuss)
4) Do you think you would understand the picture better if it was facing the right way? (discuss)
5) Do you think you would enjoy the picture more if it was facing the right way? (discuss)
Explain: “Just like there was something wrong with this picture, sometimes there can be something wrong in our hearts when we make bad choices. And if we don’t fix it, it can make it harder for us to understand things and harder for us to enjoy things - just like when the picture is upside down.”
“But, when we do make a bad choice, we can fix it! And that’s called repentance! (Turn the picture right-side up as you say the word repentance.) Repentance is possible because of Jesus Christ.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Broken Window⎥A Story About Repentance"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a story about repentance! See if you can find out what was wrong
in this story.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was wrong? What problems did the boy and girl need to fix? (didn’t obey, broken window, decision not to tell the truth)
2) How did the boy and girl feel when they didn’t fix the problem? (they felt sad)
3) Did their favorite things help them feel better? (no)
4) What did they do to fix the problem? (told the truth, said they were sorry, worked to repair the window)
5) How did they feel after they fixed the problem? (happy again)
6) Do you think they will break the window again? (no) Why not? (they promised to obey)
7) What happens if we choose to break Heavenly Father’s commandments? (discuss)
8) Can we repent if we make a bad choice? (yes)
9) Who should we talk to if we want to tell the truth? (Heavenly Father, parents)
10) Did the mother stop loving her children when they made a bad choice? Or did she love them the whole time? (loved them the whole time)
11) Does Heavenly Father stop loving us when we make a bad choice? Or does he love us the whole time? (loves us the whole time)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Open the scriptures and read the following scripture segments together. Discuss the questions
“And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins...” (Mosiah 4:10)
1) What does it mean to repent of our sins? (discuss)
2) What does it mean to forsake our sins? (it means to abandon something or to leave it alone -
like when the boy and girl promised not to kick the ball too hard any more)
3) What do you think humble means? Do you think it means we will listen to what God says?
Or ignore what God says? (listen)
4) Do you think the boy and girl humble? When were they humble? (when they told the truth
and promised not to kick the ball hard anymore)
“...and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you;” (Mosiah 4:10)
1) Who should we ask for forgiveness? (Heavenly Father, others who we have wronged)
2) How can we ask Heavenly Father for forgiveness? (personal prayer)
“...and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.” (Mosiah 4:10)
1) Does it work if we just think about repentance? Or do we have to do something?
2) What are the scriptures telling us to do? (discuss)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Color the scene from the animated video, then cut out the cards for a memory matching game!
Turn the cards face down and take turns trying to find a match! When someone finds a match, try
to remember the part of the story that is shown on the card, and discuss the repentance process!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.