"Renewing Our Covenants"- Come Follow Me: Sept. 28th -Oct. 11th
We have the chance to renew our covenants every week! As a child I was worried that I would only be clean for about five seconds after I got baptized. If I sinned, then all was lost and I wasn't clean anymore! Clearly I didn't understand how the sacrament works. We can be cleansed every Sunday and be just as pure and clean as the day we stepped out of the waters of baptism. The sacrament is a powerful ordinance that allows us to make course corrections every week! We hope the lesson bundle will help your children understand the cleansing and renewing that can come from partaking of the sacrament.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "If the Savior Stood Beside Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a toy car, a blindfold, and a small piece of tape. Clear an open area in the room and mark a small “X” on one end of the room.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite one of the children to place the toy car on the ground, and roll the car to the “X” very slowly from the opposite side of the room. Show them where the “X” is before they start, then put the blindfold on when they are ready to begin. (The child should crawl slowly along the floor as they attempt to roll the car to the “X.”)
Once the child runs into an obstacle or thinks that they have arrived, remove the blindfold and allow them to see how close they are to the “X.”
Now let the same child make another attempt. This time, tell them that they can lift up the blindfold and peek every time you count to seven. Count to seven aloud, and allow them to stop and look where they are (briefly) every time you get to seven.
Once you have completed the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Was this activity easier for the driver when they never looked, or when they could look every seven seconds? (It was easier when the driver was allowed to look.)
2) What if the “X” was ten miles away, and the driver never looked the whole way! Do you think they would get very close to the “X”? (They would probably be far away from the “X.”)
3) What did the driver do every time after they looked? (They adjusted their aim.)
4) As followers of Jesus Christ, can you think of times when we reflect and adjust our actions? (Discuss things like repentance, the sacrament, and baptism.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Rocket Ship | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a rocket ship! Two different space travelers are trying to fly home. One of them looks too see what direction they are going lots of times. The other one only looks once. Let’s see which one makes it home the fastest!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Which girl checked where they were going lots of times? (The blue girl, with the blue ship!)
2) What did the blue girl do whenever she saw that she was going the wrong way? (She would turn the ship and get back on track!)
3) When we decide to follow Jesus Christ, do we get off track sometimes? (Yes, we all do!)
4) What did Jesus Christ teach us to do to help us stay on track? (Take the sacrament every week!)
5) How can the sacrament help us stay on track? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
6 And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.
7 And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.
1) How often did Jesus teach us to do this (take the sacrament)? (Always!)
2) What did Jesus say that the bread represents? (His body.)
9 And it came to pass that they did so, and did drink of it and were filled; and they gave unto the multitude, and they did drink, and they were filled.
11 And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.
1) What did Jesus teach that the wine represents? (His blood that was shed for us.)
2) What did Jesus promise to us if we always remember Him? (That His spirit will be with us.)
12 And I give unto you a commandment that ye shall do these things. And if ye shall always do these things blessed are ye, for ye are built upon my rock.
1) What did Jesus tell us to do if we want to build on His rock? (He said to always do these things.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page
Invite the children to color the scene from “The Rocket Ship.” Read the scripture that is on the coloring page with them. Use this time to talk about why it is important to participate in the ordinance of the sacrament and how we can be blessed by doing so!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.