Prophets: Nov. 14th-20th
What is a prophet? And, why does God call prophets to reveal His word to us? Moses, Noah, Lehi, and others had specific messages from the Lord that they were commanded to deliver to the inhabitants of the earth. And, it is the same in our day! This lesson will help you explore and discover the role that God's prophets are meant to play in our mortal journey!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need two neckties that can be used as a blindfold. You will also need to gather some chairs or other objects that can be used to make a simple obstacle course in the room.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
The object of this activity is for a blindfolded “traveler” to make it through an obstacle course (from one side of the room to the other side of the room) without touching any of the obstacles.
Ask for a volunteer to be a “traveler,” and another volunteer to be a “guide.” Place a blindfold on the “guide” first, and then place a blindfold on the “traveler.” Place chairs and obstacles in position once they are both blindfolded.
Explain to the traveler that they must walk through an obstacle course without touching any of the obstacles. But the good news is that they have a guide to help them! (The guide won’t be much help though, because the guide is also blindfolded!)
Let the traveler attempt to make it through the obstacle course.
Next, set up a new obstacle course and let them try again. But this time, allow the guide to take off his or her blindfold!
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Which guide was more helpful? The first guide? Or the second guide? (Discuss.)
2) Why was the second guide more helpful? (Because the second guide could see the obstacles!)
3) How are we like the traveler? Where are we trying to go? (Discuss.)
4) How are the Lord’s prophets like the second guide? (They can see more than we can!)
5) How are the voices of the world like the first guide? (Discuss.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Law of the Harvest | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about prophets! See if you can remember the names of all prophets that are in this video!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Do you remember the names of all of the prophets that were in this video? (Noah, Moses, and Lehi.)
2) What did the prophet Moses do to guide his people? (Revealed the Ten Commandments, led his people out of Egypt.)
3) What did the prophet Noah do to guide his people? (Warned them that a flood was coming, instructed them to build an ark to save them from the flood.)
4) What did the prophet Lehi do to guide his people? (Prophesied that Jerusalem would be destroyed, led them away from Jerusalem to a promised land.)
5) Why do we need a living prophet today? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
1) Who helps the prophets to see the things that they need to see? (The Lord reveals His secrets to the prophets.)
Our father Lehi was driven out of Jerusalem because he testified of these things. Nephi also testified of these things, and also almost all of our fathers, even down to this time; yea, they have testified of the coming of Christ, and have looked forward, and have rejoiced in his day which is to come.
1) What were the prophets teaching and bearing testimony about? (The coming of Jesus Christ.)
What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.
1) When the Lord’s prophets speak, whose words are they speaking? (They are speaking the Lord’s words, and it is the same as if the Lord said it.)
1) What are some of the words that Russell M. Nelson spoke to us? (Discuss.)
2) What promises did he make? (Discuss.)
3) What are some things he told us we should do? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scenes from the video. Use this time to discuss the importance of prophets and how they can help guide us to Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
LOOKING FOR A GREAT STOCKING STUFFER?
Try Kanga Toys Aqua Brush Books!
These books are mess free and re-usable ART! Fill the pen with water, give it to your child, and watch them paint away! The images in the book will start to appear as the water is applied on the page! Let the image dry, and do it all over again!
These books are gospel centered and fun! A great way to entertain your children at church or on the go!
Available books include:
Old Testament #1
Old Testament #2
Book of Mormon
GRAB YOUR KANGA TOY AQUA BRUSH BOOKS TODAY!