Prophets have lead and guided God's people since the beginning of time. This week's lesson will remind your children of the importance of past and modern day prophets.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
*** LESSON DOWNLOAD
*** Activity and Coloring Pages DOWNLOAD
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need 2 neckties that can be used as a blindfold. You will also need to gather some chairs or other objects that can be used to make an obstacle course.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
The object of this activity is for a blindfolded “traveler” to make it through an obstacle course (from one side of the room to the other side of the room) without touching any of the obstacles.
Ask for three volunteers. One of the volunteers will be the “traveler” and the other two volunteers will be the “guides.” First, place a blindfold on one of the “guides.” Next, place a blindfold on the “traveler.”
Now place chairs and obstacles in position, and explain the challenge to the “traveler.” Tell the “traveler” that they can choose one of the guides to give them directions as they try to walk through the obstacle course. Allow the “traveler” to complete the challenge with help from the guide that they chose.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Why would it be hard for the traveler to go through the obstacle course alone? (Because he/she can’t see.)
2) Which of the guides could help the traveler the most? (The one who could see.)
3) What would happen if the traveler listened to the other guide? (They would have crashed into the obstacles!)
4) How are we like the traveler? (Discuss.)
5) Where are we trying to go? What is our goal? (Discuss.)
6) Do we know everything that Heavenly Father knows? Can we see everything that is going to happen? (No.)
7) What do you think are some obstacles that we can crash into on the way to our goal? (Discuss.)
Explain: Today, our lesson is about prophets. The prophet is like the guide who didn’t have a blindfold. The prophets can see more than we can see. Heavenly Father has given us prophets to show us the way we need to go, and the things we need to do, so that we can be happy and return to Heavenly Father.
🎥 V I D E O : ""
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about prophets! See if you can remember the names of all prophets that are in this video!”
[Watch Video: “Prophets | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Do you remember the names of all of the prophets that were in this video? (Noah, Moses, and Lehi.)
2) What did the prophet Moses do to guide his people? (Revealed the Ten Commandments, led his people out of Egypt.)
3) What did the prophet Noah do to guide his people? (Warned them that a flood was coming, instructed them to build an ark to save them from the flood.)
4) What did the prophet Lehi do to guide his people? (Prophesied that Jerusalem would be destroyed, led them away from Jerusalem to a promised land.)
5) Why do we need a living prophet today? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read Helaman 8:22]
22 Our father Lehi was driven out of Jerusalem because he testified of these things. Nephi also testified of these things, and also almost all of our fathers, even down to this time; yea, they have testified of the coming of Christ, and have looked forward, and have rejoiced in his day which is to come.
What were the prophets teaching and bearing testimony about? (The coming of Jesus Christ.)
[Read Helaman 8:17-18]
17 Yea, and behold, Abraham saw of his coming, and was filled with gladness and did rejoice.
18 Yea, and behold I say unto you, that Abraham not only knew of these things, but there were many before the days of Abraham who were called by the order of God; yea, even after the order of his Son; and this that it should be shown unto the people, a great many thousand years before his coming, that even redemption should come unto them.
What did these prophets see? (The coming of Jesus Christ.)
[Read Helaman 5:12]
12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
What is the prophet Helaman teaching us about? (To build on the Rock of Jesus Christ.)
[Watch Video: A Message of Hope]
1) What did Russell M. Nelson teach us and bear testimony of? (Discuss.)
2) What promises did he make? (Discuss.)
3) What are some things he told us we should do? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y & C O L O R I N G P A G E S
Pass out the activity page
***ACTIVITY AND COLORING PAGES
Follow the directions and help the children complete the activity. Use this time to discuss the importance of prophets and how they can help guide us to Jesus Christ.
Finish the lesson with your child's choice of three different coloring pages.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.