My Heavenly Father Knows Me: Oct. 10th-16th
Just as the Lord knew Jeremiah from the Old Testament, the Lord also knows you! He knows your potential, your personality, your weaknesses, and your talents! He knows everything about you. This lesson invites each family member to reflect on how this knowledge can draw us nearer to God.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Am a Child of God"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need an empty pillow case and some pencils for everyone to write with. Make sure to print enough of the “spotlight” questions for everyone to have a copy.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a copy of the “spotlight” questions to each person. Invite everyone (all ages) to write their answers to the questions on the handout. Offer help to younger children as needed. Have everyone fold their “spotlight” papers in half and place them inside the pillow case.
Once all of the spotlights have been added to the pillow case, draw them out one at a time and read the answers to the group. Have group members try to guess who’s answers you are reading. The object is to see how well everyone knows each other.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) If Heavenly Father was here in the room with us, do you think He would've known what our talents were? (Yes!)
2) If Heavenly Father was here in the room with us, do you think He would’ve known what our favorite foods were? (Yes!)
3) If Heavenly Father was here in the room with us, do you think He would’ve known what our favorite primary songs were? (Yes!)
4) If Heavenly Father was here in the room with us, do you think He would’ve known what our favorite activities were? (Yes!)
5) Why does Heavenly Father know all of these things? (Because he knows each one of us! He knows our names! He is our Father!)
🎥 V I D E O : "Jeremiah the Prophet | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about a prophet named Jeremiah! When Jeremiah was called to be a prophet, he didn’t think he could do it. But Heavenly Father told him something to give him courage. Let’s watch and see what Heavenly Father told Jeremiah!
[Watch Video: “Jeremiah the Prophet | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did Heavenly Father tell Jeremiah that gave Jeremiah courage? (He told Jeremiah “I knew thee before I formed thee!”)
2) Why did this give Jeremiah new courage? (Because Heavenly Father chose Jeremiah to be a prophet and started preparing him a long time ago!)
3) Did Heavenly Father know us before we were born too? (Yes! He loves us, and He has been helping us learn and grow! He has been preparing us for earth life for a long time!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
1) How did Heavenly Father know that Jeremiah would be the Lord’s prophet? (Heavenly Father knew Jeremiah. He chose Jeremiah to be a prophet and started preparing him before he was even born!)
[Read the last part of Joseph Smith History 1:17]
…When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!
1) What is happening in this verse? (Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith.)
2) Do you think Heavenly Father already knew Joseph Smith? (Yes! He knew Joseph’s name!)
3) Do you think Heavenly Father knows your name too? (Yes!)
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
1) What are some things we can do if we want to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? (Discuss things such as studying the scriptures, prayer, following Jesus Christ, etc.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page, one for each child. Invite the children to color the image from the video. Use this time to talk about how Heavenly Father knows each one of us, and has been helping us to learn and grow since before we were even born! Talk about how this can give us courage and faith when we are facing trials and challenges!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk