"And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls." This is Moroni's description of the church of God. We emulate this description as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a blessing to gather together. This blessing has become even more pronounced when world events have kept us from meeting together oft. We hope your families will be blessed and strengthened this week by this lesson.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "The Church of Jesus Christ "
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an egg for each person who will be present for the lesson. You will also need a small bowl, a flat surface (such as a table top or some glass plates), and some table salt!
Pass out one egg to each person in attendance and invite everyone to try to balance the egg so that it stands upright on the table. Allow everyone to attempt this for a minute or two.
Now sprinkle a pinch of salt (no more than ¼ teaspoon) on the table surface and invite everyone to try to balance the egg upright in the salt. (This will take a little bit of effort, but it is possible to balance the egg in the salt!)
If you have enough salt, place about 1 cup of salt into the small bowl. Now place the bowl of salt on the table and ask for a volunteer to stand the egg up in the salt. (This should be very easy!)
After you have concluded the activity, ask the following questions:
1) When there was no salt, were you able to balance the egg? (No.)
2) When we added a little salt, was it easier? (Yes.)
3) When was it the easiest to balance the egg? (When we had lots of salt!)
Explain: Heavenly Father has commanded us to meet together often as members of the church. Meeting together as members of the church is kind of like when all of the salt gathered together to balance the egg. The grains of salt were stronger when they were together. Members of the church can be stronger when we are together too! Every member of the church is important!
🎥 V I D E O : "They Did Meet Together Oft | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about becoming members of Jesus Christ’s church and meeting together as members of the church! While you watch the video, see if you can remember some of the things that we should do when we meet together at church!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some things that we should do when we meet together as members of the church? (Sing hymns, pray together, teach each other, support and help each other, take the sacrament together.)
2) When do we become a member of Jesus Christ’s church? (After we are baptized and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, then we are confirmed a member of the Church!)
3) Are all of the members of the church the same? (No, we are all different!)
4) Are there some members of the church that we don’t need? Or do we all need each other? (We all need each other.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
5 And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls.
6 And they did meet together oft to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus.
1) What does “Meet together oft” mean? (It means they met together lots of different times.)
2) What did they do when they met together as members of the church? (They fasted, prayed talked about taking care of their souls, and partook of the sacrament.)
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
1) What does “baptized into one body” mean? What “body” is the scripture talking about? (We are all baptized into one church. The “body” is Christ’s church!)
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
1) Do members of the church need each other? (Yes!)
2) Why do you think members of the church need each other? Why do you think Heavenly Father wants members of the church to meet together often? (Discuss.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Invite children to fill in the information for each of the characters. (Others can assist those who aren’t able to write on their own.) Use your imagination to create unique characters!
Cut out the characters and the church building on the solid lines. Fold on the dotted lines and glue the grey areas together so they will stand up.
Now scatter the “members” around the house, and then have them “meet” together by gathering at the church. Review the things that we have been commended to do as members of the church when we meet together and the blessings we receive by keeping these commandments.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
This week's lesson and video were brought to you by our friends at PRIMARY SCRIPTURES! They are having a Christmas sale right now! All books are 20% off + FREE SHIPPING when you use the coupon code: latterdaykids from now until November 30th!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.