Love One Another- Come Follow Me: Dec. 2nd-8th
This week the lesson is about loving one another and how unrighteous judgement can keep us from being able to love one another.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P E R A T I O N
Cut out a paper heart using construction paper (or any other type of paper). Use the full sheet of paper so that the heart is as large as possible.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up the paper heart. Ask children to think of things that would be hurtful to say to someone else, or to think of hurtful things that someone has said to them.
Each time a child gives a response, crush the paper in your hands a little bit to show how unkind words can hurt. Continue until the heart is completely crushed into a ball.
Now ask children to think of kind and loving things that they could say to someone else, or that others have said to them. Each time a child gives a response, unfold the heart a little bit.
Continue until the heart is unfolded completely.
Now hold up the heart to show that even though the heart is unfolded, the damage remains
Explain: Heavenly Father loves each one of us very much, and one of the most important commandments that Heavenly Father has given us, is to love one another. If we don’t keep this commandment, it can be hurtful to ourselves and to others.
🎥 V I D E O : “Judge Bugs: A Story About Loving Others”
Say: “We are going to watch a video about some bugs who said hurtful things to another bug. See if you can tell why the bugs thought it was okay to say those things.”
[Watch Video: “Judge Bugs | A Story About Loving Others”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Were the judge bugs saying loving things, or hurtful things to the grasshopper? (Hurtful)
2) Could the judge bugs see correctly? Or was something wrong? (They were wearing colored
glasses so they couldn’t see the real colors)
3) Do we have colored glasses on too? (Discuss)
4) Why did the judge bugs think it was okay to say those things to the grasshopper?
5) Why would they want to say something like that? (Discuss)
6) Can you think of some loving things the judge bugs could say to the grasshopper instead of
hurtful things? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
These verses teach us that someone loves us very much.
1) Who loves us? (Discuss)
When God loves us, it’s also an example.
2) What does God want us to do when we see how much he loves us? (Love one another)
3) Can we hate someone and love God at the same time? (Discuss)
4) What is the commandment that God gives us in these scriptures? (Love God, love one another)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the scenes from “Judge Bugs” and to also color the frames for their glasses. Invite children to cut out the frames for their glasses (including the holes for the lenses).
Color a sheet of plastic wrap with Sharpie markers. Cut out small pieces of colored plastic wrap and tape them into position for the lenses. Remind children that we don’t see everything that Heavenly Father can see, and that he has commanded us to love one another no matter what we think we see.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.