"Let Your Light So Shine"- Come Follow Me: Sept. 21st -27th
Letting our lights shine can sometimes be challenging in today's word! There are so many around us that need our light. We can bless, cheer, and bring others to Christ simply by living our beliefs! This week's lesson teaches the importance of not hiding our light!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "As a Child of God"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a flashlight.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite one of the children to be the “Light of Christ.” Have this child stand in front of the group and hold the flashlight. Invite everyone else in the group to think of something that they can do to follow Jesus Christ (say our prayers, be baptized, read our scriptures, serve others, etc.).
Invite children to say what they are doing to follow Jesus Christ, and then act out the thing that they are doing. (For example: fold your arms and bow your head to act out “prayer.”) When someone does an action, the child with the flashlight should shine the “Light of Christ'' (the flashlight) on that person. Allow children to offer multiple answers to keep the game going.
Play for a minute or two, then discuss the following questions:
1) When Jesus Christ was on the earth, did He want everyone to see Him? Or did He hide? (He wanted everyone to see Him.)
2) Why did He want everyone to see Him? (So they could know Him and follow Him.)
3) When did the “Light of Christ” (the flashlight) shine on each of you? (When we were following Jesus Christ.)
4) When we are following Jesus Christ, do you think Heavenly Father wants others to see us? (Yes.)
5) Why do you think Heavenly Father wants others to see us when we are following Jesus Christ? (Because they will remember Jesus Christ when they see us, and they will know Him better.)
Explain: Jesus Christ taught that when we are following Him, we are kind of like a light for the world. We can be an example, and we can help others think of Jesus Christ.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Moose and the Motorboat | Children's Animated Scripture Story"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a Moose in a motorboat! The moose gets lost at sea and he doesn’t know which way to go to make it back home! Let’s watch and see how he finds his way home.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) How did the moose find his way home? (He followed the light from the lighthouse!)
2) What would happen if there was no light? (He would be lost!)
3) How are we kind of like the moose? (We need help to find our way back to Heavenly Father.)
4) How is Jesus Christ like the light? (He shows the way back to Heavenly Father, just like the lighthouse!)
5) How can we also be like the light? (If we follow Jesus Christ, we can help show other people the way to Heavenly Father too, just like the lighthouse.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
1) Who is speaking? (Jesus Christ is speaking to the people of Nephi.)
2) What does it mean to be the “light” of this people? (To be an example and to teach others about Jesus Christ.)
15 Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;
1) Does a candle make light? (Yes.)
2) What is a bushel? (a basket.)
3) Could people see the light if it was hidden under a basket? (No!)
16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
1) What is Jesus telling us to do in this scripture? (Let our light shine!)
2) How do we “let our light shine?” (By following Jesus Christ.)
3) What will happen if we let our light shine by following Jesus Christ? (People will see the light and they will give glory to God.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the activity page.
Invite the children to color the scene from “The Moose and the Motorboat.” Read the scripture that is on the coloring page with them. Use this time to talk about why it is important to follow Jesus Christ and to let our light shine!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.