There are times in our lives when God can feel far away. Sometimes we've moved away from him and have not kept a close relationship. Sometimes life knocks us down so hard, we feel alone. But through it all, God has promised that He will lead us along. As we trust Him, we begin to see assurances that He is there, guiding our lives more than we might have ever realized. We hope this lesson will remind you and your children that a loving Heavenly Father is there, aware, and ready to lead you along in your journey.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Come, Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Hide a series of clues that ultimately leads to an image of Jesus Christ. Each clue should lead to the next clue. The clues should be simple, such as “look in the pantry,” or “look under the bathroom sink.”
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Give the first clue to the children and invite them to follow the clues until they find the image of Jesus Christ.
After the children have found all the clues and the image of Christ, ask the following questions:
1) When you began this activity, did you know where it was going to end? (No.)
2) How did you get to the end? (By following each clue, one at a time.)
3) If you were in a hurry and you tried to skip one of the clues, what would have happened? (It would have taken even longer to get to the end!)
4) What was the best way to find the image of Jesus Christ? (To follow the clues step by step.)
Explain: Heavenly Father is leading us to Him, just like this activity. If we follow Him one step at a time, He will show us the way. But, we have to trust Him and keep following the steps!
🎥 V I D E O : "I Will Lead You Along | A Story About Following Jesus Christ"
Now we are going to watch a video about a father who has a surprise for his kids! But, the kids have to follow their father's directions, step by step. Let’s watch and see if they will follow his directions!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did the children follow all of their father’s directions and find the treasure? (Yes!)
2) Why were the children complaining at first? (Because they thought that their father was going the wrong way.)
3) What would have happened if the children ignored their father and went straight to Treasure Mountain? (They wouldn’t have been able to reach the cave without the ladder, the tunnel would have been too dark without the lamp, and they wouldn’t have been able to open the treasure chest without the key!)
4) How is Heavenly Father like the father in this story? (He has wonderful things prepared for us, and He knows the way, and He knows everything that we will need along the way!)
5) How are we like the children? (We must learn to trust Heavenly Father and follow Him, one step at a time.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.
1)Why doesn’t Heavenly Father give us everything right now? (We cannot bear all things right now. We’re not ready.)
2) What did He promise us? (He will lead us along!)
3) Can we still follow Him step by step, even if we don’t know everything? (Yes!)
[2 Nephi 28:30]
30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little...
1) Does God give us everything all at once? (No.)
2) How does He give things to us? (He gives things to us line upon line, here a little and there a little.)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
1) Who knows the way to Heavenly Father? (Jesus Christ)
2) Can you think of some things that Jesus Christ has taught us that we should do? (Discuss.)
3) What can we do to show Jesus Christ that we trust Him? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the “I Will Lead You Along” coloring page. Use this time to discuss the importance of trusting the Lord and following Him one step at a time.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.