I Have Found That Which Was Lost: May 1st-7th
When Jesus gives three parables in a row to make a single point, we should probably pay attention! That’s precisely what Jesus did when the Pharisees and scribes complained about Jesus receiving sinners and eating with them.
The parable of the lost sheep, the parable of the piece of silver, and the parable of the prodigal son all teach us about the unconditional love the Lord has for us, and the joy the Lord feels when we repent.
This lesson will help children to experience and appreciate these vital truths. Heavenly Father wants all of His children to return to Him!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "A Child's Prayer"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a printed photo of each child. Before you begin the lesson, hide the photos around the room. Choose hiding places that will be difficult for the children to find.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Tell the children that you have a photo of each of them, but you have lost the photos! Ask them to help you find the photos, and invite the children to walk around the room and search for them.
Once the children have found all of the photos, invite them to sit down and discuss the following questions:
1) Was it easy to find the photos? Or was it hard? (It was hard to find the photos.)
2) Did you give up? Or did you keep searching until you found the photos? (They kept searching until they found the photos.)
3) How did you feel when you finally found all of the photos? (Really happy!)
Explain that Heavenly Father loves each one of us! If one of us is lost to Him, He wants to find us and bring us home! He will never give up on us, and whenever someone turns their heart to Him, he rejoices and is very happy!
🎥 V I D E O : "Devin Lost His Dollar | Animated Scripture Lesson"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a boy who lost his dollar. He is looking everywhere for it! Let’s watch and see if he can find his money!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) How did Devin feel when he couldn’t find his dollar? (He was very sad.)
2) When Devin couldn’t find his dollar, did Devin want to eat or sleep? (No. He only wanted to keep looking for his dollar.)
3) How did Devin feel when he finally found his dollar? (He was very happy, and he wanted everyone to celebrate with him!)
4) How does Jesus feel about us? (He wants us to come back to Him, just like Devin really wanted to find his dollar! And when we come unto Him, he rejoices just like Devin!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbors, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
1) Who told this story in the scriptures? (Jesus is telling the parable of the lost sheep.)
2) What happened in the story? (A man left all of his sheep to find the one that was lost. When he found the lost sheep, he called his friends and neighbors together to rejoice with him!)
3) How did the man feel when his sheep was found? (He rejoiced with his friends and neighbors!)
I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
1) How does the Lord feel when someone decides to repent? (There is great joy in heaven when someone repents!)
2) Why do you think there is great joy in heaven when someone repents? (Discuss the love that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us, and how much they want us to return to live with them.)
3) What are some things we can do to help bring others to Christ? (Discuss ideas that the children have.)
Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbors together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
1) Who told this story in the scriptures? (Jesus is telling another story about a woman who lost a piece of silver.)
2) Have you ever lost anything before that you really wanted to find? (Allow children to share personal experiences.)
3) How did you feel when you found it? (Discuss.)
4) How does Heavenly Father feel when we decide to repent and turn our hearts to Him? (Discuss the love that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us, and how much they want us to return to live with them.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E S
Pass out the coloring pages, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video! Use this time to talk about how happy Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ feel when we choose to repent and to turn our hearts to them.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download our videos directly to your device?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures Streaming app! Just open the app, go to the video you want to download, and click the download button!
Living Scriptures Streaming is a faith-focused streaming service made just for Latter Day Saints!
We’ve partnered with Living Scriptures Streaming to get you an exclusive 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers!
If you’ve never tried living scriptures before, why not take it for a test drive?
Watch Latter Day Kids videos (and everything else) ad free!
Download anything on the platform straight to your device!
Get access right here: