Heavenly Father is Happy When I Try to Do Good
Our Heavenly Father loves us, unconditionally. He loves us in and through all things. But we can find many examples in the scriptures when God is "well pleased" with His people, and also instances when He is "not well pleased." God is pleased when we make good choices, and He is not pleased when we make poor choices, but He always loves us!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Know That My Savior Loves Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a fresh dollar bill that is in relatively good shape (or some other type of paper currency), and you will need an individual photo of each person who is present for the lesson. If you don’t have a photo of each person, you could also write individual names on small pieces of paper.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up the dollar and discuss the following questions:
1) What is this? (A dollar bill.)
2) How much is it worth? (One dollar.)
3) What can you buy with this dollar? (Discuss things that the children would like to buy with the dollar.)
4) Do you want it? (Yes!)
Now crumple up the dollar bill, drop it on the floor, kick it around, step on it, etc. Leave it on the floor (still crumpled up), and ask the following questions.
1) Now how much is this dollar worth? (It is still worth one dollar!)
2) Can you still buy things with it? (You can still buy all the same things!)
3) Is this dollar still valuable? (Yes!)
4) Do you still want this dollar? (Yes!)
Now hold up the individual photos of each person present and explain the following:
Just like the dollar is always valuable to you, you will always be valuable to Heavenly Father! He knows each of us. He knows our names. We are so precious to Him! He always wants us, and He always loves us! And when we make good choices, Heavenly Father is happy!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Parable of the Puppies | Animated Scripture Lessons for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about a boy who has five puppies! The boy always loves his puppies. Sometimes the puppies do things that make the boy feel sad. And sometimes the puppies do things that make the boy feel happy! Watch and see what kind of things the puppies do that make the boy feel happy!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did the boy ever stop loving his puppies? Or did he always love them? (The boy always loved the puppies!)
2) Does Heavenly Father ever stop loving us? (No! He loves us, always!)
3) What are some things the puppies did that led to the boy feeling sad? (Discuss the puppies’ misbehavior.)
4) How do you think Heavenly Father feels when we make poor choices? (He feels sad for us.)
5) What are some things the puppies did that helped the boy feel happy? (Discuss the puppies’ good behavior and the happiness it brought them.)
6) How do you think Heavenly Father feels when we make good choices? (He is pleased with us and happy for us!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
"Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my servant Joseph Smith, I am well pleased with your offering and acknowledgments, which you have made..."
1) Who is the Lord pleased with? (Joseph Smith.)
2) Why is the Lord happy with Joseph Smith? (Because he was obedient to the Lord.)
3) Why can’t He lead us if we are not humble? (Discuss.)
4) Does Heavenly Father always love Joseph Smith? (Yes!)
"And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Heavenly Father!)
2) Why do you think Heavenly Father is “well pleased” with Jesus Christ? (Discuss.)
3) Does Heavenly Father always love Jesus Christ? (Yes!)
"Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world."
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Nephi.)
2) When Nephi wrote things on the plates, who was he trying to please? (He wanted to write the things that were pleasing unto God.)
3) Does Heavenly Father always love Nephi? (Yes!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out coloring page.
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about God's perfect love for all of us and also what we can do to please God.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.