Faith is Like Planting a Seed
In Hebrews 11:1 it says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." When we exercise faith we don't know how things will unfold. We often have to step into the dark and trust. We hope this week's lesson will help your children and families strengthen their faith!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "When He Comes Again "
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a blindfold and an egg!
Ask for a volunteer. Give the egg to the volunteer, and ask them to hold it. Place the blindfold over the volunteer’s eyes. Now ask the volunteer to extend their arm forward and hold the egg out in front of them. Instruct the other members of the group to watch silently for the rest of the activity.
Ask the volunteer these questions:
1) If you drop this egg, what will happen when it hits the ground? (It will break.)
2) When I count to three, I want you to drop the egg. If you trust me, it won’t break. Do you trust me? (Yes.)
Cup your hands just below the egg, so that you can catch the egg when the volunteer drops the egg. Try to do this slowly and silently, so that the volunteer won’t know your hands are there. Now count to three and instruct the volunteer to drop the egg.
Discuss the following questions after you have completed the activity.
1) Do you think it was a little scary for the volunteer to drop the egg? (Yes!)
2) Why was it a little scary? (They didn’t know for sure what would happen.)
3) Why did the volunteer drop the egg, even when they were scared? (They believed in what you said. They trusted you!)
Explain: Today, our lesson is about faith in Jesus Christ! When we trust Jesus Christ enough to do what he has asked us to do, that’s faith! We can’t see what’s going to happen, but we believe Him, and we trust Him enough to do it anyway!
🎥 V I D E O : "Faith is Like Planting a Seed" | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about faith! Victoria’s grandmother gives her some seeds. If Victoria really believes the seeds will grow, what do you think she will do?”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did Victoria know that the seeds would grow for sure? (No. She believed they would grow, but she didn’t know for sure.)
2) What did Victoria have to do to find out if the seeds would grow? (She had to find a good spot to plant them, she had to water them, and she had to pull the weeds!)
3) What did Victoria do when nothing happened? Did she give up? Or did she keep taking care of the seeds? (She kept caring for the seeds.)
4) Why did she keep taking care of the seeds, even when they weren’t growing? (She believed they would grow and she had faith.)
5) If we believe Jesus Christ, what are some things we can do to show we have faith in Him? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
6 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Moroni.)
2) What do you think “trial of your faith” means? (Discuss.)
3) What was the trial of faith in the egg drop activity? (The volunteer had to drop the egg even though they didn’t know what would happen.)
4) What was the trial of faith for Victoria in the seed story? (She had to keep working even when the seeds weren’t growing yet.)
5) If we believe in Jesus Christ, what are some things that can be trials of our faith? (Discuss.)
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
1) In the egg activity, did the volunteer get to see what would happen first? Or did they have to have faith first? (They had to have faith first to drop the egg.)
2) In the story about the seeds, did Victoria get to see the plants first? Or did she have to take care of the seed first? (She had to take care of the seed first!)
3) When Jesus Christ makes promises to us, do we get to see the promises first? Or do we have to follow Him and have faith first? (We have to follow Him and have faith first!)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the activity page.
Instruct children to care for the seed by completing three tasks:
1) Cross out the weeds
2) Draw streams of water pouring onto the seed
3) Draw rays of sunlight shining on the seed!
Next, instruct children to color the corn stalks, cut them out, and tape (or glue) them together. Cut a slit on the first paper along the dotted line. Pass the giant corn stalk through the slit so that a great big corn stalk is growing up from the seed! Use this opportunity to talk about what we can do to exercise faith in Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
This week's lesson and video were brought to you by our friends at PRIMARY SCRIPTURES!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.