David and Goliath: June 13th-19th
David had courage to fight Goliath, even when it seemed he would fail. David had faith in the Lord and he was able to succeed at a seemingly impossible task. Each of us will experience Goliath sized trials, troubles, and challenges. This lesson invites each of us to strengthen our faith and trust in God, so that we can meet them with God behind us!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need ten sheets of printer paper and some tape.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Explain that Goliath was a very large man who threatened the Israelites. Goliath was part of the Philistine army, and he was over 9 feet tall! To help the children understand how tall Goliath was, complete the following activity:
Invite the children to help you tape all of the sheets of paper together end to end, then hang the row of papers up on a wall for the remainder of the lesson. (All of the papers together should be just over 9 feet tall.) Invite the children to stand next to the papers to compare their own height with Goliath’s height.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Do you think the Israelites had a good reason to be afraid of Goliath? (Yes!)
2) Do you think it would be hard for them to defeat Goliath by themselves? (Discuss.)
3) What do you think the Israelites did? (Discuss. Allow the children to guess, or to share the story about David and Goliath if they know it.)
Explain that a shepherd boy named David was the Israelite who volunteered to face Goliath. Even though David was small, he was not afraid because he had faith in the Lord.
🎥 V I D E O : "Ruth and Naomi | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about David and Goliath! Let’s watch and see how David was able to defeat Goliath!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Who gave David the strength to defeat Goliath? (The Lord gave David strength.)
2) Why did David have the courage to face Goliath? (Because he had faith in the Lord and he knew that the Lord was with Him.)
3) What do you think Goliath could be a symbol of? (Discuss things like temptations, trials, loss, and other things that can be spiritually challenging for us today.)
4) What do you think we can learn from David that can help us have courage to face our own spiritual battles? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read 1 Samuel 17:45]
Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
1) Did David have courage because he was really good at using a sling? (No, that’s not what David said to Goliath.)
2) Why did David have courage? (He had faith in the Lord, and he knew that the Lord was with Him.)
3) What are some things that we can do to stay close to the Lord in our spiritual battles? (Discuss things like praying, reading verses from the scriptures, singing primary songs or hymns, showing kindness, keeping the commandments, and other things that will invite the Holy Ghost.)
4) If we know the Lord is with us, how can that help us face our spiritual challenges? (Discuss.)
[Read 1 Nephi 3:7]
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
1) What did the Lord command Nephi to do? (The Lord commanded Nephi to go back to Jerusalem to get the plates from Laban.)
2) Was this an easy thing for Nephi to do? (No. Nephi probably had some good reasons to be afraid.)
3) What are some things that the Lord has asked us to do that might be a challenge for us? (Discuss things like being reverent, forgiving others, showing kindness to others, being honest, etc.)
4) Why did Nephi have courage? (He had courage because he had faith in the Lord, and he knew that the Lord would provide a way for him to succeed.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about how David was able to have courage to face Goliath because of his faith in the Lord, and how we can also have courage in the spiritual challenges that we must face by having faith in the Lord.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk