What's Inside the Temple?
I'm sure your kids have wondered what is inside the temple. The video and lesson bundle this week give you tools to teach your children (or class) what is inside the house of the Lord.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Love to See the Temple"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite children to stand. Tell them that they will now be asked to point in several different directions and to follow the instructions to the best of their ability.
Point down! Use both arms and keep your arms straight. Reach as low as you can!
Now point to the right! Keep your arms straight. You can lean with your body too if you want. Reach over as far as you can.
Now point to the left! Keep your arms straight. You can lean with your body too if you want. Reach over as far as you can.
Now point up. Use both arms together and reach up as high as you can!
Ask the following question:
When you were pointing, which way makes you think of Heavenly Father the most? (Discuss)
Display a picture of a temple with a spire. Explain that Heavenly Father has commanded us to build temples on the earth, and that temples help us to grow closer to Heavenly Father. Even if we just look at a temple it makes us think about Heavenly Father right away, because it is pointing up!
🎥 V I D E O : "What's Inside the Temple? / Animated Children's Video"
Say: “Do you know what’s inside a temple? We’re going to watch a video that will show you six things that we can find inside a temple! Let’s see how many you can remember!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Can you remember all six things that we can find inside a temple? (Discuss)
2) What do we do at the recommended desk? (Discuss)
3) Why do we need a recommend to enter the temple? (To make sure we are ready)
4) What do we do in the locker room? (Discuss)
5) Why do we wear white clothes in the temple? (Discuss symbolism)
6) What do we do in the baptistry? (Discuss)
7) What do we do in the endowment room? (Learn, make promises, receive ordinances)
8) What do we do in the sealing room? (Families are sealed together forever)
9) What do we do in the celestial room? (Think about being with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, feel peace, pray quietly)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow. Invite children to put their hands together like a spire while they listen to the verse.
1) What is the “Mountain of the Lord’s House?” (Temple)
2) Whose house is this temple? (The Lord/Heavenly Father)
3) Who will go to the temple? (All nations)
1) Whose ways do we learn about in the temple? (Heavenly Father/Jesus Christ)
2) What do you think it means to walk in His paths? (Discuss)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the Salt Lake Temple coloring page! You can lead a discussion about what is inside the temple as they color.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.