"Come Follow Me"- Come Follow Me: Sept. 7th -13th
Children naturally like to imitate the world around them. This week help them connect following simple actions (like playing follow the leader) to help them understand how they can do as Christ did and follow his example.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Come Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need something you can use as a blindfold (such as a small blanket or a tie).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite everyone to play the “Mirror Game.” One person is the leader. The rest of the participants try to mimic every move that the leader makes. For example: if the leader raises one arm, the participants must also raise the same arm, etc. Before you start playing, place the blindfold on one of the participants. (This should make it very difficult for that person to mirror what the leader is doing!)
Play for a minute or two, then discuss the following questions:
1) Who was everyone following? (The leader.)
2) If someone else was watching all of you, would they know who you were following? (Yes.)
3) How would they know? (Because you were doing the same thing as the leader.)
4) Was it easy for everyone to follow the leader? (Yes, except for the blindfolded participant!)
5) Why was it hard for the person with the blindfold? (Because they didn’t know what the leader was doing!)
6) Can we follow someone very well if we don’t know what they are doing? (No. It’s harder.)
Explain: Today we are going to talk about what it means to follow Jesus Christ. If we choose to follow Jesus Christ, that means we need to know about Him and we need to try to do the things He did.
🎥 V I D E O : ""
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about Franklin the Frog! Let’s see if you notice anyone following Franklin the Frog!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Was anyone following Franklin the Frog? (Yes! Five little frogs followed him!)
2) How do you know they were following Franklin? (Every time Franklin did something, they did the same thing!)
3) Do you think the little frogs were watching Franklin? (Yes.)
4) What if the frogs stopped watching him. Would they be able to follow Franklin? (No.)
5) Why not? (Because they wouldn’t know what Franklin is doing.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.
1) What is a “disciple?” (A disciple is someone who follows another person.)
2) What was this person called to do? (Teach the gospel among his people.)
3) Did Jesus also teach the gospel to people, too? (Yes.)
4) Was this person following Jesus Christ? (Yes.)
12 And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.
1) Who is “the Son?” (Jesus Christ.)
2) What is Jesus Christ telling us to do? (To follow Him and do the things we have seen Him do.)
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1) Who is speaking in this scripture? (Jesus Christ.)
2) What is a “disciple?” (A disciple is someone who follows another person.)
3) What is Jesus Christ telling us to do? (To love one another.)
4) Did Jesus Christ love others, too? (Yes.)
5) How can other people know if we are following Jesus Christ? (If we love others as Jesus did!)
6) What other things has Jesus done that He has taught us to do? (He was baptized, he administered the sacrament, He obeyed Heavenly Father, etc.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page.
Cut out the image of Jesus Christ. Help children tape the image to the back of their right hand. Invite them to play the mirror game between their two hands. (The empty hand should mimic the hand with the image of Jesus.) They can do things like raise the hands together, wiggle fingers with both hands at the same time, make a fist at the same time, etc.
Also invite children to color the image from the video.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.