Choose You This Day: May 23rd-29th
Each and every day, through our daily actions we can chose the Savior. Those simple choices to follow our Savior daily, build a lifetime of discipleship!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Come Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an image of Jesus Christ.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite all of the children to stand in the center of the room. Hold up the image of Jesus Christ. Instruct the children to stay in the same spot, but to turn their whole body and face Jesus Christ as precisely as they can. Now walk around the room with the image of Jesus. Challenge the children to turn and continue facing Him no matter where the image is. To make the activity more challenging, try some quick movements or try holding the image high in the air or down low to the ground.
Once you have completed the activity, explain the following: “Today we are going to talk about what it means to choose to follow Jesus Christ. When we were doing this activity, each of you had a choice to make over and over again. You could have chosen to face any direction, but you chose to keep turning to Jesus Christ! This activity was just for fun. But each day in real life, we actually get to make that choice over and over again! Will we choose to turn to Jesus Christ and follow Him?
🎥 V I D E O : "The Flowers and the Light | Choose You This Day Whom Ye Will Serve"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a gardener. One year, the gardener needed to plant his flowers inside a shed instead of planting them outside. When he put a light in the shed for the flowers, he discovered something very interesting! Let’s watch and see what the gardener discovered!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the gardener discover? (He discovered that the flowers always wanted to grow to the light!)
2) Why did the flowers want to grow to the light? (Because they knew that they needed the light to survive and to grow!)
3) How is the light like Jesus Christ? (He gives spiritual light to the world and He shows us the way to happiness and eternal life!)
4) How are we like the flowers? (We need Jesus Christ to survive, just like the flowers needed the light! And we have a choice to go to Him or turn away from Him, just like the flowers had a choice.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read the following phrases from Joshua 24:15]
Choose you this day whom ye will serve… but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
1) Who was speaking in this verse? (Joshua was speaking for himself and for the house of Israel.)
2) What choice did Joshua and the Isrealites make on this day? (They chose to serve the Lord!)
3) Can you think of some things you have done today to serve the Lord? (Discuss.)
4) What are some things you could choose to do later today to serve the Lord? (Discuss ideas.)
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (King Benjamin is speaking.)
2) When we serve other people, who are we also serving? (When we are serving other people, we are also serving God!)
3) Why do you think it is serving God when we serve other people? (Because God loves all of His children very much and He is happy when we serve them!)
4) Can you think of some things you can do to serve other people? (Discuss.)
Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life.
1) Will God choose for us? Or does He let us choose to follow Jesus Christ? (He made us free to choose!)
2) Why do you think He made us free to choose? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from the video and assemble the rotating flower. Use this time to discuss some things that we might do to choose to serve God and some things that would not be choosing to serve God. Invite the children to rotate the flower towards the light and away from the light as you discuss these ideas.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!