Charity is the pure love of Christ. The love that we can strive to have for all of the people around us. God's first commandment was to love him, and the second commandment was to love others as ourselves. As we pray for the gift of charity we can be blessed to truly love as God loves and serve as He would.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
*** Lesson Bundle DOWNLOAD
***Activity Pages DOWNLOAD
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need 5-10 different containers with detachable lids ( for example: jars, sippy cups, empty food canisters, gift boxes, etc.) and a large bag or backpack.
Place all of the lids inside the backpack. Then set all the containers in a row where everyone can see them. Allow children to take turns drawing a lid from the bag, and placing the lid in front of the container that they think is the correct match for the lid (don’t put the lid on yet). Once all of the lids have been placed in front of a container, try placing all the lids on the containers to see if they guessed correctly!
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How many did you guess correctly? (Discuss.)
2) How did you know which container was the right one for each lid? (Discuss things like color, shape, size, type of lid, etc.)
3) How do you know what other people need? (Discuss things that can give you clues, like someone is shivering, something is out of place, etc.)
4) How do you know what other people are feeling? (Discuss things like body language, facial expressions, etc.)
Explain: Today our lesson is about the word “Charity.” Charity is the pure love of Christ. When we try to love other people the way that Jesus Christ loves all of us, that’s called charity.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Busy Little Squirrel | A Story About Charity
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a busy little squirrel. When you watch the video, try to see when the little squirrel starts to feel charity in her heart.”
[Watch Video: “The Busy Little Squirrel | A Story About Charity”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) When did the little squirrel start to feel charity for the other animals? (When she was in her nest counting the acorns.)
2) How did she know what the other animals needed? (She asked them.)
3) Let’s practice having charity! What do you think the squirrel needs? What could we do to show charity for the squirrel? (Discuss ideas).
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following verses together, and discuss the questions that follow.
47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
1) What is charity? (Discuss.)
2) What are some things that end? (Discuss ideas, such as the school year, a birthday party, a song etc.)
3) Does Christ’s love ever end? Ever? (No!)
4) What do you think that means for us, if His love will never end? (Discuss ideas.)
9 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1) If we don’t understand what someone needs, what should we do? Should we give up, or keep trying to understand? (Discuss.)
2) What do you think Jesus Christ would do? Can you think of an example? (Discuss.)
[Read the first few lines of Moroni 7:48]
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love...
1) What is something we can do to have more charity in our hearts? (Pray with all the energy of heart and ask to be filled with this love!)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring pages.
Invite the children to color the activity page and to practice having charity by drawing the things that the characters are in need of.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
This week's lesson and video were brought to you by our friends at PRIMARY SCRIPTURES!
FREE SHIPPING when you use the coupon code: latterdaykids
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.