Why We Need the Book of Mormon
It can be confusing to understand how the Bible and the Book of Mormon fit together, especially for children. Help them understand that the Book of Mormon doesn't replace the Bible. It isn't better than the Bible. They are both the word of God. The Book of Mormon helps to further clarify doctrine and acts as a second witness of the gospel of Christ.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Search, Ponder, and Pray"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Before the lesson place a few small objects (like a ball, toys, or crayon) into a box or bag or some other non-see-through container.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Ask a volunteer to reach inside the container to feel the objects. Invite them to describe everything they felt. Explain that this is the “first witness.”
Now ask for a different volunteer to look inside the container and to describe what they saw. Explain that this is the “last witness.”
Now ask everyone else what they think is in the container. After a brief discussion, take the objects out of the container so everyone can see them.
After the activity, ask children the following questions:
1) How did everyone know about what was in the container? (2 witnesses)
2) Could everyone imagine what those things felt like? (Yes) How? (First witness.)
3) Could everyone imagine what those things looked like? (Yes) How? (Last witness.)
4) Do you think it’s better to have only one witness, or lots of witnesses? Why? (Discuss)
🎥 V I D E O : "Why We Need the Bible and the Book of Mormon"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about why we need the Book of Mormon and the Bible. See if you can find out why we need both of them!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Who do we learn about in the Bible? (Jesus Christ)
2) Who do we learn about in the Book of Mormon? (Jesus Christ)
3) What happened to some parts of the Bible? (They were lost or taken away.)
4) How can we get the missing parts back? (The Book of Mormon)
5) Why do we need the Bible and the Book of Mormon? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow.
1) What do you think the “first records” are? (The Bible.)
2) What do you think the “last records” are? (The Book of Mormon.)
3) What was taken away from the first records?” (Plain and precious truths.)
4) How were the plain and precious truths made known again? (Last records.)
5) What is the message that the records will tell everyone? (That Jesus is the Christ.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Cut out the puzzle pieces, then invite children to assemble the puzzle as a reminder that Book of Mormon establishes the truth of the Bible, and that the Book of Mormon makes known the plain and precious truths that were taken away from the bible. Remind them that the message of both books is that Jesus is the Christ!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.