What is Truth?
Since we are living in an age where we have access to so much information, it can be particularly challenging to find truth. There are so many voices speaking so loudly! It is easy to end up confused and lost. Cutting through all the confusion is the TRUTH that can be found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Through studying the words of the scriptures, the words of the living prophets and the through personal revelation, God will reveal truth to us. We then, can build the foundation of our lives on these truths. We hope this week's lesson will promote inspired and meaningful discussions within your family about this important topic.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Know My Father Lives"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need three plastic cups that are non-transparent, and you will need a ball or a small toy that fits inside the cups. Before you begin the lesson, turn the cups upside down and place the ball under one of the cups.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Direct the children’s attention to the cups. Tell them that there is a ball underneath one of the cups. Then ask if they know which cup has a ball under it. Allow them to guess and encourage discussion, but don’t reveal the truth yet!
Now pause the activity, and ask the following questions:
1) You have all guessed which cup is hiding the ball, but does anyone know the truth? (None of the children know the truth. They can only guess!)
2) What does it mean to know the truth? (It means you are not guessing. You know which cup really has the ball!)
3) Is there anyone in this room who knows the truth? (You know the truth because you hid the ball!)
4) How can you find out the truth? (They could ask you to tell them, or they could ask you to look under the cups to find out for themselves!)
Explain: Heavenly Father created us, and He is the creator of this world. He knows all things, and He is the source of all truth. We don’t know all things, but if we can stay close to Him He will tell us the truth, and He will lead us to truth!
To conclude the activity, announce which cup has the ball, and then invite one of the children to lift the cup for the big reveal!
🎥 V I D E O : "Gerdie the Birdie | A Story About Finding Truth"
Now we are going to watch a video about a little bird who is confused. She doesn’t know what is true and what is not true! Let’s watch and see what the other birds are telling her!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some of the things that the first bird told Gerdie? (Discuss.)
2) What are some of the things that the second bird told Gerdie? (Discuss.)
3) Did Gerdie know which bird was telling the truth? (No! She was very confused!)
4) How does it feel when we don’t know where to find the truth? (It can be scary, confusing, and it doesn’t feel good.)
5) Does Heavenly Father want us to be scared and confused? (No! He loves us and He wants us to find the truth and have peace!)
6) What did Jesus teach us to do to receive truth from Him and from Heavenly Father? (He said to search the scriptures, and pray to ask what is true.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;
1) What does truth mean? (It means knowing things as they really are.)
2) Can we learn truth about things that have happened in the past? (Yes!)
3) Can we learn truth about things that will happen in the future? (Yes!)
4) Who knows the truth of all these things? (Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.)
To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus Christ is speaking.)
2) What did He say is one of the reasons He came into the world? (To bear witness of the truth.)
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
1) How can we learn the truth of all things? (By the power of the Holy Ghost.)
2) Who sends the Holy Ghost? (Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the coloring page from the video, and to write “confusing” things in the word bubbles that the little bird is hearing. Encourage them to have fun and to use their imagination to make up silly things that the other birds might say! Use this time to discuss the importance of seeking truth the ways that Heavenly Father reveals truth to us.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.