What is a Testimony? April 10th-16th
When we are young, it is appropriate and natural for us to trust our parents and the other important adults in our lives. We rely on them completely for all of our temporal and spiritual needs!
But, the time comes for all of us when the testimony of another is no longer sufficient. At some point, we all must embark on our own journey to seek and obtain a personal witness of Jesus Christ’s gospel by the power of the Holy Ghost!
The scriptures are filled with promises and invitations to all regarding this topic. And there are some special invitations and promises made especially for children!
This lesson is designed to introduce young children to these concepts in a memorable and meaningful way. We hope that the Lord will bless you and your children as you learn of Him together and seek Him this week in study and in prayer!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "The Holy Ghost"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a long roll of yarn or string, some tape, some scissors, and an image of Jesus Christ.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Tape the image of Jesus Christ to the wall in a place where everyone can see it. Invite everyone to spread out and stand somewhere in the same room. Invite one of the children to hold the end of the string and then unravel it as you walk towards the image of Jesus Christ/Heavenly Father. Use a piece of tape to attach the string to the wall somewhere underneath the image and then cut the string.
Explain: “This string represents a personal link between you and your Heavenly Father.”
Now repeat the process so that each individual has a line connecting them to “Heavenly Father.”
Discuss the following while everyone is still standing (and holding the strings):
1) What is a testimony? (It is a spiritual witness given to us by the Holy Ghost.)
2) Where does a testimony come from? (Heavenly Father sends the Holy Ghost to speak directly to our spirit.)
3) Does Heavenly Father want us to rely on someone else’s testimony? Or does He want each of us to have our own testimony from the Holy Ghost? (He wants each of us to have our own testimony from the Holy Ghost!)
4) What do you think we have to do to hold onto the string and to have our own testimony? (Discuss things like personal prayer, keeping the commandments, listening for the promptings of the spirit, believing in Jesus Christ, etc.)
Collect the string and invite all participants to sit down again.
Explain: When Heavenly Father sends the Holy Ghost to tell us that something is true, that’s called a testimony! When we receive a testimony from the Holy Ghost, it’s kind of like having our own string that links us to Heavenly Father!
🎥 V I D E O : "What is a Testimony? | Animated Scripture Lesson"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about testimony! Let’s watch and see how we can know for ourselves if Jesus Christ is really the Son of God!”
[Watch Video: “What is a Testimony? | Animated Scripture Lesson”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) How can we receive our own testimony from Heavenly Father? (Through the Holy Ghost!)
2) Can anyone receive a testimony from the Holy Ghost? (Heavenly Father has promised that anyone can know the truth by the power of the Holy Ghost.)
3) What can we do to find out if Jesus Christ is really the Son of God? (Read the scriptures to learn of Him, exercise faith in Him and try to follow Him, pray and ask Heavenly Father for a testimony by the power of the Holy Ghost.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
1) How did Simon know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God? (He knew because it was revealed to Him from Heavenly Father.)
2) How does Heavenly Father reveal truth to us? (By the power of the Holy Ghost.)
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Moroni.)
2) When he says “receive these things,” what is he talking about? (The scriptures!)
3) If we want a testimony that they are really from Heavenly Father, what does he tell us to do? (Ask God in the name of Christ.)
4) What does it mean to have a sincere heart? (It means you are not joking or playing a trick on Heavenly Father. It means you really want to know the truth so you can follow Him.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E S
Pass out the coloring pages, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time as an opportunity to discuss personal revelation, testimony, and the Holy Ghost.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download our videos directly to your device?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures Streaming app! Just open the app, go to the video you want to download, and click the download button!
Living Scriptures Streaming is a faith-focused streaming service made just for Latter Day Saints!
We’ve partnered with Living Scriptures Streaming to get you an exclusive 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers!
If you’ve never tried living scriptures before, why not take it for a test drive?
Watch Latter Day Kids videos (and everything else) ad free!
Download anything on the platform straight to your device!
Get access right here: