In the Old Testament, the Israelites sought to incline their hearts to the Lord, to walk "in all His ways" and to keep all of His commandments. This week's video is a parable that teaches about walking in the Lord's ways. No matter where we find ourselves in this life journey, Jesus Christ has shown us the path we can take that will lead us safely through the spiritual dangers that surround us and our children. If we are willing to try to follow Him and "walk in all His ways," He will lead us safely back to Heavenly Father!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Print several copies of the “paw prints” printout and cut out the paw prints individually. Print one copy of the fox for each child and hide it in another room. Use the individual paw prints to make a pathway leading to the foxes. The longer the pathway the more the children will enjoy the exercise!
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to follow the paw prints to see where they lead! Once they have discovered the surprise at the end (the foxes), invite the children to return to their seats with their fox and discuss the following questions.
1) Whose paw prints were we following? (The fox’s paw prints!)
2) What happened when we followed the fox’s paw prints? (We got closer to the fox!)
3) What if we followed cat paw prints? What would happen? (We would get closer to the cat!)
4) What would happen if we followed puppy paw prints? (We would get closer to the puppy!)
5) What do you think happens when we try to follow Jesus Christ? (We get closer to Him!)
Explain: Jesus Christ has invited each of us to follow Him and walk in His ways! When we try to follow Jesus’ example, it’s kind of like following footprints on the ground! Every step we take will lead us closer to Him!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Foxes and the Snow | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about some foxes! The mother fox needs to help her children get through a dangerous part of the forest! Let’s watch and see what she does to help them!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What dangers did the foxes have to pass through? (The holes in the forest.)
2) How did the mother help her children get through the danger safely? (She made a path for them to follow.)
3) How did the mother know which way to go? (She had walked the path many times before, and she knew all of the safe places to step.)
4) What are some spiritual dangers that we face in our lives? (Discuss.)
5) How does Jesus Christ help us to get through the spiritual danger safely? (Discuss things like Christ’s atonement, Christ’s example, making covenants with us, the scriptures, the Holy Ghost, etc.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
“The Lord our God be with us, as he was with our fathers: let him not leave us, nor forsake us: That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers.”
1) What do you think it means to turn our hearts to the Lord and to “walk in all His ways?” (Discuss.)
“A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.”
“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”
1) Who is speaking in this scripture? (Jesus Christ.)
2) What is a “disciple?” (A disciple is someone who follows another person.)
3) What is Jesus Christ telling us to do? (To love one another.)
4) Did Jesus Christ love others, too? (Yes.)
5) What is one of the ways that other people will know that we are following Jesus Christ? (They will see that we love others like Jesus did!)
6) What are some other things Jesus has done that He has taught us to do also? (He was baptized, he administered the sacrament, He obeyed Heavenly Father’s commandments, etc.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the image from the video. Invite the children to discuss things that they can do to follow Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk