Unity: "If ye are not one, ye are not mine." - April 12th-18th
We need each other. It's fact. The human race is a social race. We thrive on loving and connecting.
We are also flawed and fallen, and along with that comes conflict, hurt feelings, differing points of view, unkind words, and imperfection. The Lord knew this. In fact, the second great commandment is to love our neighbors as ourselves!
As we strive to find harmony and unity in our homes, places of worship, and work, we may have to forgive. We may have to let things go that could become a divide. We may have to overlook others weaknesses and imperfections and seek understanding.
This weeks' lesson bundle teaches this principle from D&C 38:27..."If ye are not one, ye are not mine."
It is possible to be one in purpose, heart, and mind, even with differences. We hope this lesson will bring these principles to light in your homes this week!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "I'll Walk With You"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a flashlight that can be taken apart into several pieces. Take the flashlight apart before the lesson.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Place all of the individual pieces of the flashlight on a flat surface where everyone can see them.
One by one, ask the children to identify each piece and explain what it is for/what it does.
The light bulb makes the light.
The battery supplies the power.
The case holds the pieces together.
Once you have talked about each individual part, discuss the following questions:
1) Do you think these pieces can work on their own? Or do you think they need each other? (They need each other.)
2) What would happen if the battery tried to be a flashlight all by itself? (It wouldn’t be able to make any light.)
3) What would happen if the light bulb tried to shine all by itself? (It wouldn’t work.)
4) Do you think He wants us to be by ourselves? Or do you think He wants us to be together with Him and with our brothers and sisters? (Discuss.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Truck Squad | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about a “truck squad!” In the beginning, each truck is alone, and things aren’t going very well. Watch and see what the trucks decide to do!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What could the gas truck do? (It could give gas to the other trucks.)
2) What could the tire truck do? (It could give new tires to the other trucks.)
3) What could the crane truck do? (It could lift heavy things.)
4) What could the fire truck do? (It could put out fires.)
5) What happened when the trucks were alone? (They all got stuck!)
6) What did the trucks decide to do? (Work together as one.)
7) Can you think of any bugs or animals that work together as one? (Bees, ants, etc.)
8) What are some things you could do to help others and work as one? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
25 And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is giving instructions to the church.)
2) What does it mean to “esteem your brother as yourself?” (Treat others the way you want to be treated.)
3) How do you want to be treated? (Discuss.)
27 I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.
1) What does it mean to be one? (It means to work together and help each other.)
2) Who does the Lord command to be one? (Members of the church.)
3) What do you think will happen if members of the church don’t work together as one? (Discuss.)
4) Why do you think He wants us to be one? (Discuss.)
5) Do you think Heavenly Father also wants our families to be one? Why? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the image from the video as you talk together about letting go of the things of the world to follow Heavenly Father.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Many thanks to this weeks' sponsor: Your House Press!
Check out their website to see what they are all about! They create beautiful weekly CFM posters that will look amazing on any wall of your home! These posters help families to have ongoing conversations about key phrases from the scriptures. Use the code MYHOUSE10 for 10% off your first order!