The Worth of Souls Is Great
Do you know how precious and valuable you are? Your Father in Heaven has told you how He feels about you! Never doubt it!
“Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.”
This week's lesson bundle will remind your family this important truth!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "My Heavenly Father Loves Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a fresh dollar bill that is in relatively good shape (or some other type of paper currency), and you will need an individual photo of each person who is present for the lesson. If you don’t have a photo of each person, you could also write individual names on small pieces of paper.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up the dollar and discuss the following questions:
1) What is this? (A dollar bill.)
2) How much is it worth? (One dollar.)
3) What can you buy with this dollar? (Discuss things that the children would like to buy with the dollar.)
4) Do you want it? (Yes!)
Now crumple up the dollar bill, drop it on the floor, kick it around, step on it, etc. Leave it on the floor (still crumpled up), and ask the following questions.
1) Now how much is this dollar worth? (It is still worth one dollar!)
2) Can you still buy things with it? (You can still buy all the same things!)
3) Is this dollar still valuable? (Yes!)
4) Do you still want this dollar? (Yes!)
Now hold up the individual photos of each person present and explain the following:
Today, we are going to learn about the worth of a soul. Just like the dollar was always valuable to you, you will always be valuable to Heavenly Father! He knows each of you. He knows your names. You are so precious to Him! He always wants you and He always loves you!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Starfish | A Story About the Worth of Souls"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a girl who sees thousands of starfish washed up on the beach. Let’s see what the girl does when she finds them.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the girl do when she found all the starfish in the sand? (She was bringing the
starfish back to the water.)
2) Could she help all the starfish? (No, there were too many for her to help all of them.)
3) Why did she keep going? Why didn’t she give up? (Because she cared about each individual starfish.)
4) Do you think Heavenly Father loves all of us? (Yes!)
5) Do you think Heavenly Father will ever give up on us or forget about any of us? (No!)
6) Why not? (Because he loves each one of us.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
1) What does this scripture tell us to remember? (That our souls are of great worth to God.)
2) What did Heavenly Father do that proves how much we are worth to Him? (He sent His Son Jesus Christ to redeem us.)
13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
1) What can bring great joy to Heavenly Father? (He has great joy when a soul repents!)
2) How will we feel if we bring a soul to Heavenly Father? (We will feel great joy!)
3) How will we feel if we bring many souls to Heavenly Father? (We will feel even greater joy!)
6 And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen.
1) This is a revelation from the Lord to John Whitmer. What did the Lord say John Whitemer could do that would be the most worth? (Declare repentance and bring souls to Jesus Christ!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color all of the different starfish! Use this as an opportunity to talk about the worth
of souls and how we can help bring souls to Heavenly Father.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you are interested in supporting the continuation of Latter Day Kids consider becoming a patron. Visit our Pateron page for more information.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.