The Voice of Warning
It's a new year of Come Follow Me! We are so excited to be studying the Doctrine and Covenants this year with all of you!
The Lord gave Joseph Smith the revelations contained in D&C as a warning and blessing to his people in the latter days. As we study and heed the words contained therein we will be blessed!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Pages HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "The Iron Rod"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up each sign (from the “Voice of Warning Intro Activity”) one at a time, and discuss the following questions for each sign.
1) Have you seen a warning like this before? (Discuss.)
2) Do you know what it means? (Discuss.)
3) What could happen if someone ignored this warning? (Discuss.)
4) What will happen if someone chooses to obey this warning? (Discuss.)
Hold up all of the signs together and explain: Today we are going to learn about warnings. These signs warn us about physical danger. Physical dangers can hurt our bodies. But there are also spiritual dangers. Spiritual dangers can hurt our spirits.
Now, hold up the scriptures and explain: God has given us warnings through His prophets to protect us from spiritual danger. These warnings can be found in the scriptures.
🎥 V I D E O : "Warning Signs | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now hand out the scriptures to each child so that they can hold them.
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about warnings. Ted the truck driver must deliver his load to the warehouse safely. He sees some warning signs while he is driving. Let’s watch, and see if he listens to the warnings!”
[Watch Video: “The Voice of Warning | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What warnings did Ted see while he was driving? (Seep Grade Hill Ahead, Winding Road,
Land Ends: Merge Left, Road Construction Ahead.)
2) Did Ted obey the warnings that he saw? (Yes.)
3) What could have happened if Ted ignored the warnings? (Discuss.)
4) Where can we find warnings about spiritual danger? (In the scriptures.)
5) What can happen if we ignore the warnings of spiritual danger? (Our spirits can be hurt.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Doctrine and Covenants 1:4]
4 And the voice of warning shall be unto all people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have chosen in these last days.
1) Who is the voice of warning for? (All people.)
2) Is the warning for you too? (Yes.)
3) How does God give His warnings to us? (Through his disciples.)
4) Who wrote the scriptures in the Doctrine and Covenants? (Joseph Smith.)
[3 Nephi 14:24-27]
24 Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand—
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it.
1) Who is speaking in these verses? (Jesus.)
2) What did He say it would be like if we do what He has taught us? (Like a wise man who built his house on a firm foundation.)
3) What did He warn it will be like if we don’t do what He has taught us? (Like a foolish man who built his house on a sandy foundation.)
4) Can you think of any spiritual warnings in the scriptures? What has God told us to do? What has God told us not to do? (Discuss teachings from the scriptures.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from “The Voice of Warning.” Read the scripture that is on the coloring page with the children. Use this time to talk about heeding the voice of warning that God has given to us through his prophets!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.