The Still Small Voice: August 2nd-8th
One of the most important things we can teach our children is to recognize, and respond to, the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can calm our fears and comfort us when we are grieving. The Holy Ghost guides us and directs us in our decisions. The Holy Ghost testifies of Jesus Christ and reveals and teaches the truth of all things. And, the Holy Ghost can protect us from physical and spiritual danger. We hope that this lesson will be helpful to you as you strive to teach these vital truths to your children!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "The Holy Ghost"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Set a countdown timer on your phone for one minute, and choose a reverent sound for the ring tone. Turn the volume to a low setting.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite the children to leave the room while you hide your phone somewhere in the room. Start the 60 second timer and then invite the children to sit back down in their seats. Tell them that your phone will ring in 60 seconds, but it’s very quiet! Tell them to listen carefully to see if they can hear the ring tone!
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you moving? Or were you sitting still? (Discuss.)
2) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you making noise, or were you silent? (Discuss.)
3) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you distracted? Or were you paying attention? (Discuss.)
4) What happened when you did all of those things? Were you able to hear the phone? (Yes!)
Explain that in the scriptures, the Holy Ghost is sometimes called “The Still Small Voice.” The still small voice is not loud. It’s more like a whisper that we feel in our hearts, and if we want to hear it, we need to be still, and focus, and listen with our hearts - just like when we were listening to hear the phone!
🎥 V I D E O : "Olivia the Owl | A Story About the Still Small Voice"
Now we are going to watch a video about Olivia the Owl! Let’s watch and see what Olivia learns about the still small voice!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Does the still small voice speak to us like a tornado? (No, it speaks to us like a gentle breeze.)
2) Does the still small voice speak to us like thunder? (No, it speaks to us gently like a beautiful sunrise.)
3) Does the still small voice shake us like a big earthquake? (No, it speaks to us carefully, like when the wind moves the clouds through the sky.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Yea, thus saith the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake while it maketh manifest,
Who is speaking in this verse? (Joseph Smith.)
What do you think it means for something to “whisper through” us? (Discuss.)
Why do you think Joseph Smith said the spirit sometimes makes his bones quake? (Discuss.)
Ye are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. Ye have seen an angel, and he spake unto you; yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words;
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Nephi is speaking to his brothers when they wouldn’t help him build a ship.)
2) Did Nephi’s brothers hear the Lord when He spoke to them in a still small voice? (No this did not feel His words.)
3) Why didn’t they feel the Lord’s words when the Spirit spoke to them? (Because they were “past feeling.”)
4) What do you think it means to be “past feeling?” (Discuss things like not paying attention, not listening carefully, ignoring the spirit, disobedience, etc.)
And it came to pass when they heard this voice, and beheld that it was not a voice of thunder, neither was it a voice of a great tumultuous noise, but behold, it was a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul.
1) When the people heard a voice, was it like thunder? (No.)
2) When the people heard a voice, did it make a “great noise?” (No.)
3) What was the voice like? (It was a still voice of perfect mildness, and it was like a whisper.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the coloring page from the video. Use this time to discuss why it is important to listen for the still small voice.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!