How does your family strive to make the sabbath day a delight? This week's lesson invites family members to ponder over their personal attitudes and observances on the sabbath day.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "If You're Happy"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
Clear enough floor space for each child so that they all have room to jump up and down at the same time.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to stand and to spread out around the room as much as possible. Tell them that you are going to shout out several words, one at a time. Tell them to jump in the air one time after you say each word. The happier the word makes them, the higher they should jump!
Start with some things that typically aren’t very exciting for kids (washing dishes, tying shoes, bedtime, etc.) and progress to some things that are typically very exciting for kids (birthday parties, a new toy, playing with friends, Christmas morning, etc.)!
After you complete the activity, invite the children to return to their seats and discuss the following questions:
1) Do you know what the word “delight” means? (The word “delight” means great happiness! During this activity, you jumped the highest for the words that delighted you the most!)
2) Which words were you the most delighted to hear? (Discuss the words that made the children jump the highest!)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Sabbath is a Delight | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Heavenly Father has given us a gift! This gift is meant to be a delight for us! Let’s watch the video and see what gift Heavenly Father has given us that is meant to be a delight!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What gift has Heavenly Father given us to be a delight for us? (The gift of the Sabbath Day!)
2) Who do we get to focus on during the Sabbath Day? (We get to focus on Jesus Christ and spend time with Him!)
3) Can you imagine what a delight it would be if Jesus Christ was here with us in person right now? Do you feel some delight just thinking about that? (Discuss.)
4) What do you think Jesus Christ would say to us if he was here with us? What do you think he would do? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
…and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words, Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord…
1) Should we seek our own pleasure on the Sabbath day? (No, the scripture tells us not to seek our own pleasure on the Sabbath day.)
2) Who should we try to please on the Sabbath? (We should focus on the Lord and try to do the things that please Him!)
3) If we try to please the Lord on the Sabbath day, how will we feel? (Will feel delighted!)
[Read Exodus 8-10]
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work…
1) What has God commanded us to do on the Sabbath day? (He has commanded us to rest from our own work on the Sabbath day and to worship Him and remember Him.)
[Read the last part of Exodus 31:13]
Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you…
1) What did the Lord say about the Sabbath day? (It is a sign between us and the Lord.)
2) If we focus on the Lord on the Sabbath day, what sign do you think we are giving the Lord? (It is a sign that we love Him, we remember Him, and we need Him!)
3) How do we feel in our hearts when we are close to the Lord? (Delighted!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page to each child. Invite them to color the image from the video. Use this time to talk about the gift of the Sabbath day. Discuss things that you could do on the Sabbath day that would please the Lord.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk