The Restoration of Priesthood Keys
The Priesthood was restored on to Joseph Smith Jr. and Oliver Cowdery on May 15, 1829 after centuries. Along with the restoration of the priesthood came the keys of the Priesthood to preform saving ordinance such as baptism, the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost etc. This week's lesson explains why we needed the priesthood to preform ordinances and how the priesthood was restored. We hope this lesson and video will deepen understanding of the priesthood!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Baptism"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a key that opens something (like a door or a padlock), and you will also need 4 other keys that go to something else. Separate all the keys from your keychain so that they can be passed around and handled separately.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up all of the keys, and explain that one of these keys opens a lock! The other keys don’t work for this lock. Now, lay the keys on the ground or on the table. Let the children take turns trying the keys in the lock, one at a time, to find the key that works!
After completing the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Could you open this lock without a key? (No.)
2) Could you open this lock with any of the keys? (No.)
3) What did you need to be able to open the lock? (The correct key!)
Today we are going to talk about the priesthood keys! God gives us priesthood keys to help Him do his work on the earth. We need priesthood keys for lots of things, like performing baptisms, sealing our families together in the temple, and administering the sacrament. If we don’t have the priesthood keys for these things, that means we don’t have permission to “open that lock.”
🎥 V I D E O : "Strengthen One Another | Animated Scripture Lessons for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about the restoration of the priesthood keys! Watch and see if you can remember some of the people who God sent to visit Joseph Smith to give him priesthood keys.”
[Watch Video: “The Restoration of Priesthood Keys | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Can you remember any of the people who God sent to visit Joseph Smith? (John the Baptist, Peter, James, John, Moses, Elias, Elijah.)
2) Why did God send those people to visit Joseph Smith? (To give him priesthood keys.)
3) Who else received these priesthood keys with Joseph Smith? (Oliver Cowdrey.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Therefore, the keys of this dispensation are committed into your hands; and by this ye may know that the great and dreadful day of the Lord is near, even at the doors.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Prophet Elijah is speaking.)
2) Who sent Elijah? (The Lord.)
3) What did He say? (That the priesthood keys were given to Joseph Smith.)
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus Christ is speaking.)
2) Do you know who he is speaking to? (To His Apostle Peter.)
Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins...
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (This is when John the Baptist appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdrey.)
2) What keys did John the Baptist give them? (Ministering of angels, repentance, baptism.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
[Pass out activity pages]
Invite the children to color the scene from the video! Use this time to talk about the restoration of the keys of the priesthood, and the importance of priesthood authority.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, become a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.