The Law of the Harvest: Nov. 7th-13th
In the book of Hosea "The Law of the Harvest" is explained. The familiar phrase "your reap what you sow" is this same principle. What we put into our hearts and lives will eventually bear fruit and be known. It is our choice to decide what thoughts actions and words we will reap in our lives.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
Gather some seeds! More than one type of seed would be ideal. However something as simple as some popcorn kernels will work. (If you don’t have access to any seeds, you can find pictures of different types of seeds on the internet to show to the children.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Lay out the seeds on a table or on the floor, and sort them by type. Invite everyone to examine the different types of seeds.
As the children look at the seeds, discuss the following questions.
1) What are these? (Seeds!)
2) Where do the seeds come from? (From the original plants! Explain that corn seeds come from corn, pumpkin seeds come from pumpkins, etc.)
3) If you plant these seeds (point to one type of seed), what will grow? (Reveal the correct answer. Repeat this question for each type of seed.)
Explain that our thoughts and our actions are kind of like seeds! Then, discuss the following questions.
1) If we plant kindness in our hearts, what do you think will grow there? (More kindness!)
2) If we plant faith in our hearts, what do you think will grow there? (Faith!)
3) What if we choose to plant meanness in our hearts? Then what do you think will grow there? (More meanness.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Law of the Harvest | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: Now we are going to watch a video about something called the law of the harvest! Let’s watch and see what lessons we can learn from seeds and from plants!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) If we plant seeds, will we get a plant that is different from the seeds we planted? Or will we get the same kind of plant? (We will get the same kind of plant.)
2) If we plant seeds, will we get the same number of seeds back? Or will we get lots of seeds back? (The seeds will multiply and we will get lots of seeds back.)
3) If we plant seeds, do we get to harvest right away? Or do we have to wait for a long time? (We have to wait for a long time.)
4) What are some good seeds we can plant in our hearts? (Discuss.)
5) What will happen if we plant good seeds in our hearts? (Discuss.)
6) Will it happen right away? Or do you think it might take a long time? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read Hosea 10:12]
Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
1) If we sow righteousness in our hearts, do you think the Lord will return the same amount to us, or do you think He will bless us with more? (He will rain many more blessings upon us.)
2) What do you think it means when it says the Lord will “rain righteousness upon you?” (Discuss.)
[Read D&C 6:33]
Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
1) What does it mean to sow good? (It means to do good and to plant good seeds in our hearts.)
2) What will we reap if we sow good? (More good!)
[Read Galatians 6:7]
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
1) What does it mean to be deceived? (It means being tricked or lied to.)
2) If someone tells us that the law of the harvest doesn’t work, is that true? Or is that a lie? (Discuss.)
3) If we always try to remember the law of the harvest, do you think that will help us to plant more good things in our hearts? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to learn about the law of the harvest by assembling the “Harvest Wheel.” Follow the directions on the printout to construct the wheel. Use this time to talk about the law of the harvest and how it applies in our lives.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk