The Holy Ghost
Feeling the Holy Ghost can be like tuning in to a radio. The radio waves are always there, but we must have a receiver to be able to hear what is being transmitted with radio waves. We also must work to be in tune with the Holy Ghost. As Joseph Smith was translating the plates his scribe, Oliver Cowdrey, desired to translate as well. He didn't have much success. In D&C 8 the Lord instructed Oliver about how he could "tune in" to translate with the power of the Holy Ghost. We can apply this same principle in our lives, as we seek direction and help.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Pages HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "The Holy Ghost"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a soft object to throw gently, like a stuffed animal or a soft ball.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Ask for a volunteer. Hand the stuffed animal or soft ball to the volunteer, and then step back a short distance. Ask them to throw the object to you and hold out your hands as if you are going to catch it. When the object comes your direction, hold your arms perfectly still and let the object bounce off of you and land on the floor.
Now discuss the following questions:
1) Did you give the object to me when I asked you to? (Yes.)
2) But do I have it now? (No, it’s on the floor!)
3) Why don’t I have it? (You didn’t catch it!)
4) If you throw something to me, what do I need to do to receive it? (Catch it with your hands.)
5) If you tell me something with words, what do I need to do to receive it? (Listen with your ears.)
6) If you show me a drawing you made for me, what do I need to do to receive it? (Look at it with your eyes.)
Explain: Heavenly Father sends us the Holy Ghost to give us a testimony, to teach us, and to comfort us! But, we must receive the Holy Ghost! We can’t hold the Holy Ghost with our arms. And we can’t see the Holy Ghost with our eyes. And we can’t hear the Holy Ghost with our ears. Instead, we receive the Holy Ghost in our mind (invite the children to point to their minds) and in our hearts (invite the children to point to their hearts).
🎥 V I D E O : "Tuning in to the Holy Ghost | Animated Come Follow Me Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about radio waves! See if you can tell why radio waves are like the Holy Ghost!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why are radio waves like the Holy Ghost? (Because we can’t see the radio waves with our eyes and we can’t hear them with our ears.)
2) If we can’t see the radio waves and we can’t hear them, are they still there? (Yes.)
3) If we want to hear the radio waves, what do we need? (A receiver.)
4) If we want to feel the Holy Ghost, what is the receiver? (Our mind and our heart.)
5) What happens if the radio receiver is not tuned to the right channel? (You won’t be able to hear the music.)
6) How can we tune our heart to the Holy Ghost? (By following Jesus Christ and trying to keep the commandments.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
1) How will the Holy Ghost tell us things? (In our mind and in our heart.)
2) What does “dwell” mean? (It means to stay somewhere for a long time.)
3) Where will the Holy Ghost dwell? (In our heart.)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
1) Who is speaking in these verses? (Jesus.)
2) What is the “Comforter?” (The Holy Ghost.)
3) Who sends the Comforter to us? (Heavenly Father.)
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
1) Did the world receive the Holy Ghost? (No. Because they couldn’t see the Holy Ghost with their eyes and they didn’t know He was there.)
2) How can we receive the Holy Ghost? (In our mind and in our heart, and by following Jesus Christ and trying to keep the commandments.)
3) Who will dwell with us? (The Holy Ghost will dwell with us.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the radio receiver and to assemble it so that they can “tune in” to the Holy Ghost. Use this time to talk about what we can do to tune our hearts to the Holy Ghost so that the Holy Ghost can dwell in our hearts!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you like what we are doing and you want to support us, please consider becoming a patron!
Patreon is a crowdfunding platform (like Kickstarter) but it works
on a monthly basis with smaller amounts.
Join us in making positive media that will help anchor young hearts
to the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.