The Family Proclamation
In 1995 the First Presidency released The Family Proclamation. It's profound truths, spoken by a living Prophet, have never been more timely. For the last 26 years, this document has stood as standard for the Lord's plan for families and continues to be a light to guide us in a darkening and confusing world. This week's lesson discusses the importance of the family, the roles within the family, and what principles we can apply that help us in our efforts to build strong and successful families.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Families Can Be Together Forever"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need several popsicle sticks and two rubber bands.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Scatter the popsicle sticks around the room. Hold up one of the popsicle sticks and ask for a volunteer to try to break the stick. After the stick is broken, explain that we are like the popsicle sticks, and we are in a battle! Heavenly Father wants to give us life and salvation, but the enemy of righteousness wants to “break” us and destroy our happiness!
Now ask the following questions:
1) What do you think will happen to all of these popsicle sticks if the enemy tries to break them one at a time? (They will break easily.)
2) Do you think Heavenly Father wants us to be alone in this battle like these popsicle sticks? (No! He wants us to be in families!)
3) What do you think will happen if we gather the popsicle sticks together in a strong family? (The enemy won’t be able to break them!)
Now invite the children to gather all of the popsicle sticks and use the rubber bands to “bind” them together into a family unit. Let the children take turns trying to break the “family!”
🎥 V I D E O : "The Family Proclamation | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”
Now we are going to watch a video about families! Heavenly Father wants us to live in families, and he has taught us many things we can do to build a strong family! Let’s see how many things you can remember!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some of the things you remember that can make our families stronger? (Discuss.)
2) Is it easy or hard to build a strong family? (It can be hard, and it can take a long time!)
3) If it’s hard to build a strong family, does that mean we should stop trying to build a strong family? (No! We should keep trying to build a strong family!)
4) Why do you think Heavenly Father wants us to live in families? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus Christ is speaking.)
2) Why do you think Jesus Christ told us to pray in our families? (Discuss.)
[Read the first part of 1 Nephi 1:1]
I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father…
1) Who taught Nephi the things that he needed to know? (His parents.)
2) Do you think that Nephi was stronger because of his family? (Discuss.)
Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it.
1) Who taught the stripling warriors? (Their mothers!)
2) What did their mothers teach them to do? (To have faith in God and not doubt.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
[Pass out coloring page]
Invite children to complete the “Families” activity page. Use this time to talk about families, and why families are important to Heavenly Father.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.